• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping 96 4.0L into a 94 Ranger 4.0L - But Wiring Harnesses are different.

BillRod

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95=4.9L Others=4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi All

I want to swap a 96 4.0 OHV from an Explorer into a 94 Ranger with same 4.0L OHV.
Got the Explorer free and was really hoping for an easy swap until I saw the Wiring Harnesses are not the same.

The 96 has the 1 big main connector to the firewall.
The 94 does not have the 1 connector, it appears to have individual connectors for each component/sensor.

If I put both engines on stands side by side can I simply remove the harness from the 96 and swap the individual connectors from the 94 to the 96?

Not sure if the actual components/sensors are the same between them or if there's any hurdles to this.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Bil

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would use the ranger harness in the ranger. If there is any sensors missing or extra just make the explorer engine the same as the original ranger engine. It would be nice if they were sitting side be side and you can see what needs swapping. I don't think there would be any real difference tho I'm not an expert.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I would use the ranger harness in the ranger. If there is any sensors missing or extra just make the explorer engine the same as the original ranger engine. It would be nice if they were sitting side be side and you can see what needs swapping. I don't think there would be any real difference tho I'm not an expert.
The ranger harness and all sensors will need to be swapped, you will also need to swap the upper intake manifold in it's entirety due to the different location of the air temp sensor, you may also want to swap the studs holding it down also, as the ones for the plastic intake are much longer and may pose issues if you have extra wiring routed through the intake as i do (they are external torx on the top E7 I believe). The one exception is the crankshaft position sensor, this is the same so it doesn't need to be changed. all the vacuum lines will need to be swapped also. the 96 will have a camshaft synchronizer also, depending on what emissions you have in the 94 it will either be wrong or unnecessary.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals