• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

performance chip's for the 4.0L

BrodyPaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought a 2008 ford ranger fx4 with the 4.0L SOHC engine. I really love the truck, and have spent a lot of time and money in the past couple of weeks adding all the things I wanted to make it a perfect truck. which brings me to wondering about adding a performance chip to it. As its my daily driver but also built for the bush I am looking for any suggestions on a good all around performance chip, something that will boost the power when I want it but also can be tuned for economy. I don't know anything about performance chips and it seems like there are a lot of options on the internet. I was wondering what others have read or used for this particular engine and year range of ranger. I appreciate any advice you have. thanks

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4.0 OHV, and I just bought a JET module. Should be here today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4.0 OHV, and I just bought a JET module. Should be here today, I'll let you know how it goes.

I’m curious as well, as I have a ’92 4.0 Custom. By the way, how’s that K&N working out for you? Been thinking about picking one up.

RE

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I switched back to a regular Wix filter. I like it better

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
So I just took 'er out for a spin. I noticed a difference, but not a big one. It smoothed it out a bit, doesn't lug as bad in 4th @35mph and 3rd@25mph. Power band seems to be smoother from a roll up to about 75 is where I stopped, but I don't think it was any faster...

Exhaust sounds smoother, more of a purr than a hacking dry cough.

I think all it really does is refine the software enough to give back some pony's that've probably been lost with age. Put some fresh pep in the step of an old truck.

I wouldn't hurt yourself to try and buy one. 'Specially not at their rates, and not for the cheaper price on Amazon either.

I'll report back after a few tanks and see what the MPG's are.

'92 4.0L rwd 5 speed 3.08

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Also, I should point out that, when installed correctly, the chip is sprung against the computer case and interferes with the computer mounting bracket.

The cool thing though is if you install it backwards, it fits, but the fuel pump doesn't run.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
For anyone still keeping score,

I haven't been able to get any reliable/consistent measurements, but I'm certainly not putting up hybrid numbers. Maybe 1 mpg more, but, that's about it. Still convinced it has more pep, but again not a mustang boss by any stretch.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For anyone still keeping score,

I haven't been able to get any reliable/consistent measurements, but I'm certainly not putting up hybrid numbers. Maybe 1 mpg more, but, that's about it. Still convinced it has more pep, but again not a mustang boss by any stretch.

Thanks for keeping us posted, chewy. :beer:

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Also, I find its been harder to keep my foot out of it, so... There's that too [emoji481] haha

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I find its been harder to keep my foot out of it, so... There's that too [emoji481] haha

Ohhhhhhhh, I already have that problem. No chippy for meeeee!! lol

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
With the 4.0 SOHC engine, it is easier to get a programmer to reprogram the trucks computer. You don't have to mess with installing it and making sure you have good electrical contact. You just plug it into the OBD II port and follow instructions. You can always go back to the factory tune if you want to. I do when I go in for emissions testing.

The important thing is to find programmer that knows how to get the best tune. Most of the generic tunes don't give much improvement. I don't know who to recommend because the guy that did mine no longer does it.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
For anyone still keeping score, I just did a pretty mixed hwy/city tank. Stop and go lights 0-30, stop and go lights 0-40, a few good stretches of 65mph interstate, and a 2 hr stretch of 20-30 mph traffic jam in 40 mph wind.... Totaling 195 miles, I filled up for 10.5 gallons. Giving me 18.5 mpg. Spark plugs gapped at 0.060 with a speed demon pack and the jet chip. Better than I thought I would get, but again nothing special. The best I've done without the chip is still 22.5.

Man, what a great tank that was....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals