• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine won't shut off!

johndavid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 97 Ranger's engine won't turn off! I changed the original starter and battery and was thrilled when it started better than it had for a long time, only it wouldn't turn off. I had to disconnect the battery for the engine to die. Any Ideas? I'm desperate for help.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
When the engine is on, does the starter remain on as well? It sounds like the starter turns over, engine starts, and the starter remains engaged with the ignition in the ON position.

Did you touch the starter solenoid RELAY on the driver side fender well?

I would guess that:

1.) the red positive battery wire is from the battery post to the wrong solenoid RELAY terminal (there are 3 terminals on the black cylindrical starter solenoid), causing power to always go to the starter/starter solenoid on the transmission....

2.) The wires are crossed on the starter solenoid terminals at the transmission, causing power to always run the starter regardless. Somewhere it is being bridges where it is not supposed to.

Good luck. :icon_hornsup:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I assume you mean the starter won't turn off???

1997 should have the Starter Relay on the starter motor.
The starter relay is what activates the starter motor, it used to be on the inner-fender, often called the starter solenoid.
In any case the starter relay is activated by a smaller, often red, wire, this wire comes from the ignition switch and ONLY has 12 volts when key is turned all the way to START.
The terminal on the starter relay for this wire is labelled "S", whether it is on the starter motor itself or on the inner fender.

If starter won't stop then either the relay is bad(new relays can be bad) or the "S" wire has 12volts while key is on, which would be bad.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if the engine is still running, check your ignition switch. it is on the bottom of the column, under the knee panels. you should be able to pull it down and cycle it with your thumb (this might hurt depending on how calloused your thumbs are) all the way forward is start, and about a quarter inch from all the way back is off.

if that operates normally, I hate to say it, but you have something broken inside your steering column. There's a push/pull rod that runs from the key to the switch... my 96 did the exact same thing, and that rod was snapped. I think you can replace it with the column still in the car, but I"m not sure.

stuntsunltd.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ignition switch

+1 for checking the ingition switch. Ford had recalls for years with the igition switches in just about everything. The problem with the switch is that the switch bodies are held together via metal tabs that are bent into place and over time they loosen and can cause the switch to short out. This reportedly was the cause of several vehicles catching fire as well so definetly look into that possibility. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals