• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is going on? I have tested everything show's okay but still no start?

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's my problem/story. My truck was vandalized by hippies at my piss ass school last term because they didn't like the way it looks, I guess they where mad that is wasn't a VW bug who knows. So it has been sitting for awhile about six months. after getting the tires replaced and the window and steering shaft. I tried to start it but with no luck. Check the fuel it was good (to make sure sugar wasn't put in my tank too).

The low pressure pump is working, I even took it out to give it direct power and it works just fine. ( I also replaced it last year new)

The Inline high pressure pump also works. I can hear it turn on and can feel fuel running through the lines. (also a newish pump replaced two winters ago)

I have nearly 40 psi at the line with the key forward, and it holds steady and very very slowly drops back just like normal.

I just got finished putting my noid light on all of my injector wire harness and all are firing and working fine.

The fuel pressure reg is NEW, I replaced it because I thought it was bad. I clamped the return line and it would keep the truck running barely, so I figured that was the problem and replaced it. Also no fuel is in the vac line when I took it off.

Checked my grounds and all are solid

I hotwired my inertia switch because the plug was halfway melted. I just did this today to try to bypass it just in case it was the problem.

I have spark coming from my coil, to my dis, and to all six of my plugs.

I reset my timing and it is perfect

Killed my battery during all of this testing and went ahead and swapped it out for a new one. So battery is brand new as well.

Also brought a new fuel pump relay because I was out of idea's after all of this testing, and still no go WTF!!!!

(off topic I also pulled all of my plugs to see how the motor was doing, plugs all looked fine) I'm going to pull out my fuel injector pulse tester to see if anything is wrong with the injectors tomorrow. ( I need my cousin to crank the motor for me).

I have covered nearly all area's and am out of idea's, the motor will run for a second if I spray starter fluid the intake, So I know that I have a fuel problem but damn!!! everything is testing out A-ok??? So is it a faulty ECU?? I am broker than broke now and if that is the problem I will not be able to travel back to my shitty school in two weeks! argh!

So after all of this my truck still will not run, it wants to fire up but dies after it is on for a few seconds tops..

BTW, I gave up and brought a few :beer: I'm so pissed at my truck right now, AND to top it off my bike doesn't want to run either:bawling:
Help a lady out.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, I was just thinking maybe my return line is bad?? I need my baby so that I can haul my stuff to school.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
Injectors may have junk in them. There are plenty of videos about how to clean them yourself, cheaply. When I cleaned mine, I also dropped the entire fuel rail in some rust desolver for a week.
You could pull the OBD-I codes but I don't think it would help.
I replaced my fuel line and return line, before I got my noid light in the mail. Turns out my noid light found the problem after the fact. it's either a CPS or PCM.
Getting back to your issue...you can clean out your existing lines if you dont have the bux but you'll need to lift the bed to get the the three lines (including the line to the charcoal canister). Mine had nasty coffee syrup looking stuff in it. (94 Ranger 2.3).

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the plugs to see if they are wet? If so see if they burn with a lighter. If the fuel rail is full of water you can have the same symptoms. What is the fuel pressure at the rail when you cycle the key? I would think you could borrow a fuel pressure guage at your local part store not a bad tool for the box either! I just use a long screwdriver to see if the injectors are firing. Poor mans stethiscope you can listen to alot of different points on the engine, bearings, lifters and such just keep your hands, hair and clothes away from moving parts when you stick your head in there.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Already hooked up a vac gauge there is nothing internally wrong with the motor, no need to use a stethoscope (even though I do have one). I rebuild the motor a few years back. I have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up it read 39 on the rail. So I have solid within spec's fuel pressure. One of the first things that I did was hook up my fuel pressure gauge to check for fuel and then checked for spark.

On the fuel injector problem I know how to clean injectors this isn't my first rodeo :)
I have a injector pulse tester and they are all pulsing fine and within the correct volts as well. I even busted out my power probe to check to see what my readings are. If the injectors were clogged it would run like a misfire for the few seconds that it does run, or when starter fluid is being sprayed into the intake. But it runs smooth as a baby's butt when it is able to run.
I could pull the intake and check the injectors but I really doubt that that is the problem, oh also a few of them are brand new. I like to test out things and of course test out electronics/relay etc before I replace. I am not one to just through parts at a car. (The new relay I had on hand so I swapped that in). The FPR I should have checked the diaphragm before buying a new one and the fact that the vac line from it was dry should have told me to wait on it, but I have worked on so many cars before that had these type of problems it was screaming classic FPR, so I went ahead and replaced it. Oh well.

I did hook up my ford obd tester on it and no codes beeped back at me. :p

Last edited:

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and yes I checked the plugs before and they were wet so fuel is getting into the motor which is why I also do not think that the injectors are the problem. All six were wet. I want to try to start it tomorrow and then pull them again to see if they are wet again. I wouldn't do it tonight, since I have been cranking on the motor all day long and the engine is flooded with fuel right now. I want to do it on a fresh day just to make sure.

94RoadkillRanger I have a lifted truck it has a three inch body lift on it so getting to my lines is no problem. But I took off the line from the low pressure pump and turned the key and nice clear fuel came out. Did the same to the high pressure pump as well. (took off the line to the fuel filter inlet).

Also the fuel filter is new, basic maintenance, I didn't have a problem throwing that part at the truck. So I know that the fuel filter is clean. I'm starting to only think that the ECU could be the problem. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it was vandalized - perhaps they swapped the plug wires around! very classic.

You said that you have spark to the plug, but is the plug itself any good, as in insulator fail?

If all fails, check for compression on the cylinders, even though it's rebuilt.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope, I already checked my timing everything is spot on.
Also the kids at my school aren't that smart, there a bunch of rich wannabe's. Most have never held a job before, paid for any of their own things or even pumped their own gas. There cars are all brand new brought and paid for by mum and dad. I had the only old sexy ass beat up military **** you all spoiled rich pricks truck. :D

And yup just before anyone ask cap and rotor are fine as well. I'm going to check my plugs again, if they all are bone dry then EFI is done, if only a few are then I will check the injectors to those cly's. But if they are all wet then everything is fine on that end.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No need for a compression test, it's not a knock or a crazy noise and the motor spins free. Also I did a vac test that would have showed me if there was any internal issues as well. The motor again sounds fine with it is being feed fuel. So internal problems can be put on the back burner. Also when I pulled the plugs they were all great and showed the proper signs of wear. None were burn or super white etc. None of them showed any signs of internal engine problems. Plugs can tell you allot and solve allot of your problems right off of the back with what is going on with your motor. Allot of this I already said that I had done in my first post. Which is why I posted this, because it's so strange. It has to be something super stupid and simple.

Last edited:

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yes plug wires are newish I replaced when I rebuilt the motor. And the plugs are motorcraft coppers so I replace them every year. When I rebuild motors I go by the book and do it old fashion, plastic gauge my bearings, check the spec's on everything, on these heads since they are known to warp I send them off to the same machine shop I've been using for 15 years to check them out. use my assembly lube, do a proper brake in. I like to do things right the first time because I HATE having to do the same job twice just because I was being lazy. Working for flat rate for my whole life I like to check all corners and only work on a car once for that one problem so that I can make my time and keep on moving. :) Being efficient is what I strive for. ^_^

For peace of mind I could spend the twenty minutes putting my compression gauge on the motor though just to post up the numbers to make 110% sure that everything is okay there.
Looks like tomorrow is going to be a super long day. lol

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have water in your fuel!!!!!. Had the same problem with my sisters old thunderbird after her ass of a boyfriend dumped a 2 liter of water in the tank..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
There is a sick reason I suggested a compression test. I was wondering what they might put in the gas tank:

1) pee - sinks to bottom of tank and gets drawn in first
2) sugar - you already know that one
3) fingernail polish remover (acetone) which will make it run with lots of power, but if it sits (which it did) can eat up the engine.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm aware of the reasons why you would have suggested that, and thank you. I put acetone way back in the day in a cavalier that I brought off of my friend for 30 bucks. We drag raced it all the way down main street and put trays under the tires until the body mounts were gone and the car ran on three cly's lol man those were the days. haha

Water in the fuel lines sounds like a sound theory, I have stacks and a snorkel on the thing, and we had some really bad and heavy rain storms plus it was sitting forever while I saved up funds and fought with the school and the insurance company and tow companies. I'll clean out the lines and will drop the tank and see were that goes. I will also do a compression test since it's easy to do and doesn't take that much time off of my hands.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Compression test didn't show any dead cly's or anything out of the norm. None of them were why below pressure. All were within specs.

Cleaned out the tank, put in new fuel and a few bottles of heet.

Pulled out my power probe and tested my ECU and Fuel pump relay and it tested out fine.

Pulled out my plugs and they have fuel on them.

I have never encountered a problem like this before, at least not when everything is passing test just fine. I'm going to throw in the towel for today I'm to tired to do anything else. I have been riding on the bus around town and it drains everything out of you. I have to get all of my stuff to school and I still do not know how I'm going to pull this off without my truck.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing faulty ecu? No junk yards around me have first gen rangers or B'2. btw :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals