• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough Idle

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 5.0 in my explorer is running rough at idle and has loss of power. I plugged my scanner in and it gave me a P0353 code. I had a couple of old coils and put them on and did the same thing. When I unplug the passenger side it stayed running but when I unplugged the drivers side it dies. Is it a coil that's bad or something else. Not good with electrical so need some advice. :beer:

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I see nobody knows what to do. Well I put two new coils in it and it didnt help. The same code keeps showing up. So if anybody knows what I can do please let me know. :beer:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you checked the fuel pressure? when you unplug that side, does it change at all? it should start lugging. what do the plugs say?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
0) Check the wiring harness for physical damage, especially where it may be contacting something.

1) Check for proper + voltage on all the coil connector feeds. A new or different coil won't help if it isn't even getting voltage.

2) Disconnect the PCM and all the coil connectors (already disconnected from the above step). Then check for continuity on all the switched ground wires to the PCM. You are basically checking the wiring harness for openness.

3) Don't connect anything back yet. Now, with your VOM, check for continuity between all ground trigger wires at each coil connector against a good body ground. You are basically checking the wiring harness for a short.

4) You also may have two trigger wires that have fused or corroded together.

5) Check the wiring contacts on the connectors for corrosion and physical weakness of the spring action.

6) If your driver(s) are bad on the PCM, sorry. Can't help.

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I replaced the coils and plugs, that didnt help but know I have no fuel in the fuelrail. The relay is good but cant hear the pump kick on. So I guess my question is, would a bad or weak fuel pump cause it to run rough at an idle and then spit and sputter when you gave it gas.

explorer98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
never mind the fuel pump is working. Dont have a clew as to what is going on with it. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals