• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag system problems

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I have several questions about the airbag system on a 2000 ford ranger 4wd with a 3.0L. Anyways, I bought the truck and was fixing it up for my sister. The woman who had it before had smacked a tree and set off both airbags. Repairing the body was no big issue and after a little welding and getting the frame straightened, it looks 100% factory quality now. I have replaced both the airbags and a restraints control module from another parts truck that I bought cheap. The airbag light was not on in the parts truck. Anyways, after getting both airbags and the restraints control module replaced, the airbag light stayed on. Oh, and also, there is no externally mounted airbag sensors on those trucks from what I was told by an autobody shop. The restraints control module has a crash sensor in it and that is all there is. Ok, anyways, as I was previously saying, the light was still on, so I thought the airbag clock spring was bad and went to take the one off of the parts truck, but it was broken. So, I picked up one at a salvage and went to install it today and pulled off the old one and it looked brand new. I took it apart and there was nothing broken inside. I also took apart the one from the salvage to check it and it looked fine. So, I installed the salvage one to be safe and the airbag light is still on. So, my questions are, does taking apart those clocksprings mess them up in any way? Also, what else is there to replace that would clear the light, do I have to take it somewhere and have them clear it? Would the brocken clock spring in the parts truck cause a crash code to be stored in the restraints control module? And can a shop or parts store pull the airbag codes, or is that a dealer only thing? I know my handheld scanner doesn't read it. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the horn and cruise control is not working at all either. That is what made me think it was a bad clock spring, but does the airbag light being on automatically disable those functions as well? Sorry for the thousand questions, but this is my first experience fixing airbags and I am still trying to learn about them. Thanks again for any answers.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals