• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

not sure what I'm doin wrong :/

longbeachprerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just got my 130 flux core welder, this is my first welder and I have never welded before and for the life of me i can not figure out what I'm doin wrong I'm practicing on some sheet metal off of my 94 ranger (figured sense thats what ima be welding what better to practice on) tried more mire less wire more power less power faster and slower pushing and pulling and i just can't get a decent weld

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
More heat. Slow down. You actually need to be able to see what you're doing so make sure there is lots of light directed at your work surface. The metal needs to melt and you need to be able to see it melt and where the puddle is going.

Edgewalker

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Still looks like porosity and lack of fusion. I check if your machine is set to DCEN for the FCAW-S process. I assume your using E71T-1 wire? i ask because some fluxcore wire is gas shielded. You should use a drag motion when using the FCAW process because it creates slag, and you don't want molten slag to build up ahead of the weld pool.

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
How well can you see? What style hood are you using and what lense? The other equipment and adjustments have been covered but if you can't see it will never come out right. You are definitely going too fast, but you should be able to tell while your welding. Some of that comes with experience, some from being able to see. A lot of people need a lighter lense than what comes in most hoods. I have to use an adjustable lense, on the brightest setting to see, with it I can turn out some nice beads, like hold railcars together welds, with too dark a lense my welds look a lot like yours. You have to be careful not to go too light or you will shine your eyes slowly. But you might pick up an adjustable tint hood and play with it a bit.
Also you mentioned your first project is going to be sheet metal repair, study up on it, it doesn't take much heat to warp a panel out enough to ruin it. The larger and flatter, the less heat it will take. I usually stack tack welds or very short beads, 1 inch or less, staggered 6" to a foot apart, go a little on one side, then the opposite side. This makes it faster, but keeps the metal as cool as possible to prevent warpage. There are videos on this process on you tube welding is a great skill to have, especially if you plan on doing much custom work on cars. Take your time, do good prep, and remember that a grinder makes all welds equal pretty, it's penetration and strength that matter most

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
My welds look like goose poop also. I know I can't see even with a auto-darkening hood. I have some super bright clip-on work lights that help a lot. What helps me more is to block the light that comes in from the upper back of my hood. Seems to block out some reflections and I can see the weld puddle better.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I definitely agree that it looks like you need more heat and you need to move slower but I'm just going to go with the excuse of some people just cannot weld with flux core like me for example.

This is my weld with solid wire with shielding gas

This is what my weld looks like when I tried to use flux core.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Old thread but I'm guessing this is a 110v welder? Probably AC only? And flux core wire at that... hell of a place to learn how to weld, plus you are running a bead on a flat surface rather than at a joint where two pieces come together.

Usually you want to push the wire into the puddle, with the torch angled back, and work your puddle by moving the wire back and forth in a half moon shape. Pushing the wire preheats the metal in front of the puddle and fills in better, in most cases, not all, and there are plenty of situations where you have to pull instead.

My suggestions: slow down, really work the heat in. Multiple passes. Less wire speed (maybe.) Practice with joints, not so much flat surfaces. And remember that you want the majority of the heat directed into the piece you are welding something onto, aka the "parent" metal, NOT the piece that is being attached, and this is vital for welding things onto flat surfaces.

Flux core wire is nasty, dirty stuff and a lot of people say it sucks but it's just a different process to learn. It's basically stick welding with wire, so you can weld anywhere and not worry about your shielding gas getting blown away. I have welded a lot of stuff with MIG, flux, stick and oxy/acetylene, they all have their own little quirks. Practice practice practice

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals