• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 Questions

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, I can admit that I do not know a great deal about the 5.0, it was pretty well phased out by the time I started working on cars, but I need to start learning for a project that I have been putting off.

I am currently building an HO 5.0 out of an 88 Mustang for placement into my mom's 65. I already have the conversion mounts (car came with an I6), now I am getting ready to order gaskets and such.

Since this is going in a 60s car, it will be carbed. My big question is this: Are there any significant differences or oddities that I need to be aware of putting a carb setup on the HO long block?

I know I need to get the cam lobe for the fuel pump. I already have the proper front cover with the cut out. I need an intake yet. Also, I don't know dick about carbs. I also don't have one yet.

Finally, what does everyone like for auto tranny behind this engine. The car came with an auto, and despite my urgings my dad (who is funding the project) has decided not to convert it. I'm not sure if the trans that came in the car is a C5 or C6. I also can't remember which one my foreman told me was the one that was worth rebuilding for this application (something I'd dearly love to do since it should make many other aspects of this job easier.

Finally, ignition system: I tried to fix the issues with the old points-condenser system. I failed. I realize now, with the benefits of hind-sight and a great deal more knowledge of cars, that a large part of my failure was due to the fact that most of the engine wiring in shot. Be that as it may, I have no desire to run a points-condenser system. What are my best options as far as simplicity of construction/service/maintenance and availability of parts?

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Though I'm far from an expert the only thing you need worry about is that the HO firing order is different from the older 302/289 but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

If memory serves those came with a C4 or maybe an FMX. Get an AOD instead.

I'd use an early Ford electronic distributor. Lot's of them still in the jy and parts are cheap and plentiful. They are very reliable even by today's standards and far and away much better in every way than a points distributor.

Others will chime in. Going to be an interesting project!:D

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Though I'm far from an expert the only thing you need worry about is that the HO firing order is different from the older 302/289 but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

If memory serves those came with a C4 or maybe an FMX. Get an AOD instead.
Thanks Tom. I do know about the HO firing order being different, and the rotor spinning counter.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure of the ID of the existing trans, but I don't think it's a C4 (although I could be wrong). I only know two things about it for sure. It is a C-series, and it is NOT original to the car. It has "86 6 cylinder" written on the case with a paint pen.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are two C5 transmissions, in typical Ford tradition they can't just leave well enough alone and had to make things confusing.

http://mmerlinn.tripod.com/trans/notes/fbbnotfd.htm

The easiest way to ID them is the later C5 has a big dimple in the bottom of the pan for the filters pickup, the C4 is flat. The only major differences between the later C5 and the C4 is the torque converter and it has another valve body (with a different upper) with the extended pickup on the filter so it is pretty easy to convert them from one to another.

The fuel pump cam lobe doubles as an oil slinger, my '87 engine had one in place although it obviously didn't have a mechanical oil pump.

No big wo-who to put a carb on a HO, pretty straightforward. I do like Edelbrock carbs, they are pretty easy to adjust and don't dump gas all over the engine when you open them up. I have a 500CFM on my HO speced engine and it is plenty.

Optimally (IMO) would be to run the big Duraspark cap, rotor and adaptor collar. If they want to kinda keep the right look you can get a smaller cap and rotor for a early Duraspark vehicle. If they want to loose the brain box on the fender you can run the full points setup but with a Petronix Ignitor in the distributor in place of the points. It will all look stock on the outside but it is a full electronic ignition but they are very unforgiving for bad connections/wiring.

One other thing with the dizzy, if you have a roller cam ('86+ HOs will) you will need a steel gear on the dizzy. A flat tappet cam (like what the car would have had originally) takes a cast iron gear. You can get a DS dizzy for a '85 Mustang with a steel gear, it is the application I got mine for. Whenever I pull the dizzy I disable the ignition and crank it to confirm I have oil pressure and the oil pump driveshaft didn't get pushed down on accident... it is a phobia I have. :dntknw:

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
For ignition, I would use a Performance Distributors D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition) distributor. I have installed a couple of them, one on my 81 f-150, and one on a buddies 79 CJ-7. They use a HEI style ignition setup, and installation and wiring is super easy. The only wiring required for them is a single key-on power source, and a single signal wire for a tach if you wish to use one. You can order a generic one for your motor, or they will build one with a timing curve specifically dialed in for your setup using information you provide them about cam, intake, carb size, etc. Something else I thought was pretty cool, they test each distributor by itself and send you a sheet with test results for the timing for yours, and something I thought was cool that you don't see very often was the info was hand-written onto the specifications sheet.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/

EDIT: If for some reason you wanted to switch a part (I don't know why you would) or if something did fail, since this setup uses a GM HEI style distributor, parts (ignition module, coil) would be very plentiful, even if this company did go out of business, which I don't foresee happening.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The easiest way to ID them is the later C5 has a big dimple in the bottom of the pan for the filters pickup, the C4 is flat.
Well, I was wrong, looks like this is a C4.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The easiest way to ignite will be how Dieseldane mentioned, with an HEI dizzy. The Pertronix brand is pretty steep though. My buddy put one of these (link below) on his 49 Ford with a 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang. It's 55 dollars on Ebay, and very simple to hook up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-289-302-5-0-5-0L-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-COIL-Blue-Cap-/310422361533?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48469d55bd&vxp=mtr

Are you planning on doing serpentine/reverse rotation for the FEAD? I guess most of that will depend on what accessories you are going to run.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The easiest way to ignite will be how Dieseldane mentioned, with an HEI dizzy. The Pertronix brand is pretty steep though. My buddy put one of these (link below) on his 49 Ford with a 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang. It's 55 dollars on Ebay, and very simple to hook up.
I think the ignitor was about $100 for the Delco distributor on my 1950's tractor (no other options besides going to a magneto) Unless someone pops the cap, rotor and dust cover off there is no way to tell anything has been changed.

I would prefer just about anything to the HEI dizzy just because it is so big and ugly. It isn't so bad on a GM where you can't see it but when it open the hood it is front and center on a SBF. If it is something I was going to show it would be something I would take into account.

Duraspark isn't hard to hook up at all.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I think the ignitor was about $100 for the Delco distributor on my 1950's tractor (no other options besides going to a magneto) Unless someone pops the cap, rotor and dust cover off there is no way to tell anything has been changed.

I would prefer just about anything to the HEI dizzy just because it is so big and ugly. It isn't so bad on a GM where you can't see it but when it open the hood it is front and center on a SBF. If it is something I was going to show it would be something I would take into account.
Here is another option if you don't like the looks of the coil in the cap. You can use an HEI module with a Duraspark dizzy (you would need one from an 85 GT for this build).

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm

I personally don't think it looks all that bad.

Duraspark isn't hard to hook up at all.

As long as you've got the right connectors, right? :icon_twisted:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are you planning on doing serpentine/reverse rotation for the FEAD? I guess most of that will depend on what accessories you are going to run.
Yes I am. I bought the engine complete in pieces, supposedly with about (allegedly) 10,000 miles on it. It was being "re-built" for swap into an LX which was then sold to a friend of mine because the guy needed diaper money. My friend then decided it would just be easier to swap the engine out of an 82 that he had traded his Taurus SHO Wagon for because the LX body was in better shape (and a convertible). He drove that Mexican monstrosity for about 2 weeks before buying a Fusion.

That does help with any electrical project. :icon_thumby:
Nah, I just use scotch locks and cruise control recall harnesses for all that stuff.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, next question...

I know Comp is a good name, but has anyone used these and are they correct (as in no other variations besides OEM roller vs retrofit roller)?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/7826-16/10002/-1

The guy who tore down the engine did not understand the importance of keeping your pushrods (or any other parts) in order. I was able to clean the pistons up pretty well and find the numbers and arrows that mark the cylinder and orientation in the block. I am not willing to take a chance with the push rods.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks Shane!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Did you ever complete this project?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals