• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Zombie rig questions Aux Fuel Tank Axels Tires Auto Lockers

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i got a bunch of questions and there's probably more to come so instead of trying to search every form on here and probably gonna piss some one off by not doing it and its just easier to keep track of it if its all in one thread im just gonna do it here so to start
BTW all of this is for my 1988 Ford Bronco 2 and ive searched for most of this stuff on google but some is just easier to ask

1. is any one using dana 35's on a b2 with 31-33's cause thats what im thinking of using i also wanna throw some electronic lockers on them for when i get real stuck with a 3-6 inch lift any one know if this will work and if i can even stick an electronic locker in a TTB setup the reason im doing this is i dont plan on a lot of like extreme trail / rock stuff just lots of mud and some rocks and LOTS of snow (Wisconsin snow) basically going for a simple bolt on lift bolt in locker bigger tires upgraded steering all parts to come from a 91-98 Ford explorer unless there something that would be better
(plan to just buy an explorer and strip it for what i want maybe even motor tranny :icon_surprised:)
whole point of it is to make a vehicle that can get stuck cause im sick of getting stuck

1b.id like to put a wider axel on the rear just to try and make up for the higher height of the trucks center of gravity if even possible is there one that a would match up the same as the stock one and if theres a vehicle that it would to come from that id get it off of

2. I'm thinking of putting an extra fuel tank i got for free a while back in my truck just not in the normal places i want to mount it in the roof rack i want to build and tie it in to existing fuel system using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271584885229?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Fuel tank selector valve an extra low pressure fuel pump and a switch mounted some wheres in the truck
my question is any one think this wont work? Ive read gravity feeds flood the evap system but this shouldn't since everything is separate and wont be even connected to it. now i know there is dangers involved in this but i think it wouldn't be any different than if its on the bottom.

i should say that i would be protecting with idk lets call it a tree plate and it would have tubing all around it and i would insulate it from the sun paint the tree plate white some other stuff

3. has any one tried those Cree LED lights are they good, great, terrible?
these are the ones im talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Flood-Lamp-Car-Boat-Tractor-Truck-SUV-UTV-ATV-Offroad-/400839384929?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d53e39f61&vxp=mtr
i wanna get flood and spot versions of them if they are any good and i mean you cant beat 20 bucks for some leds like em

4. I'm looking for some type of see threw wire metal i have some stuff on my truck that's used as a grille but since it came with the truck i have no idea where to get it from or what its called here's a pic
http://i.imgur.com/onhsNvQ.jpg id like the same stuff to keep the zombies and crazy ex's/theifs out seems like would be good for it id be putting it over my all of my windows except the doors well i would would just be making it removable along with the rest of it.
mainly just looking for the name of it and maybe where to buy it or any thing that you think might be better

5. any one know of any high amp bolt on alternators like 200 -300 or higher (ill be running 0AWG wire front to back) id like to put it in place of either the stock alternator or where my ac compressor was it would take place
but id prefer to run from the ac compressor location cause i want to install a second battery for winches, a possible plow, lights lots of lights, power inverter, and then my Anderson plugs on the front and back of the truck for emergency jump starting of my fellow trail riders with out even popping the hood. so as you can see i need/want a BIG alternator so i can jump a vehicle even if it doesn't have a battery

6. any one know of any steel or stainless steel pre made battery holder i could use to mount (big one as in 4000-5000amps) i was thinking of doing something under the back seats building a box prefer to buy one to hold a battery so i can access it in the event of dead main battery and zombie invasion

7. this truck is obviously old but i love it i was originally thinking of swapping the motor in it with a 302w from a Ford exploder but i was wondering is there any kind of plug an play wiring harness out there or something that makes it so i just have to wire up the motor and it runs cause id like the truck to appear stock on the inside gauge wise don't wanna have to add anything extra altho i probably will.
but my other question does any one use there b2 lifted and such with the stock engine and tranny cause my current thought is to yank the motor and rebuild it and send the tranny to some one to rebuild that cause i know there a pain but im just wondering is it worth it to rebuild it for my uses? cause it would save me alot of trouble.

End notes i should probably say the zombie invasion probably wont ever happen in my time but hey all the shit i want to add can be used for more then just zombies but im not adding much that ain't use full for me if there isn't a zombie invasion so everything is pretty much dual purpose

if you could answer my Questions with the numbers it will make it less confusing for all involved

and for now i think this is all the questions i have but there will probably be more.

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
This can't possibly be serious

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I don't think it will be Zombie proof even if you do all those mods, but then again I'm not sure "what" in the end you "really " trying to accomplish.

Maybe best to ask just one question at a time:icon_confused:

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Jeezuz Effing christmas...........................................

PUNCTUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4000 or 5000 amp BATTERIES????????????????????????????????????

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1] d35 are swapped in all the time.
don't know about e-locker.
1b] explorer axle is a couple inches wider than b2

2] not a good idea. better to keep your center of balance low so you don't tip over easily.

3] don't know.

4] expanded metal.

5] don't know

6] Check a tractor/truck dealer or parts place. the tractor/truck battery I have is 1400 amp/hour.

7] lots of people use the stock motor as well as do swaps, from 4.0l all the way to 460's. closest to plug and play would be a 1990 ranger.

You really need to do some research! All the answers you need are here and you can find them yourself;
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Good luck,

Richard

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
ok so i got a bunch of questions and there's probably more to come so instead of trying to search every form on here and probably gonna piss some one off by not doing it and its just easier to keep track of it if its all in one thread im just gonna do it here so to start
BTW all of this is for my 1988 Ford Bronco 2 and ive searched for most of this stuff on google but some is just easier to ask

1. is any one using dana 35's on a b2 with 31-33's cause thats what im thinking of using i also wanna throw some electronic lockers on them for when i get real stuck with a 3-6 inch lift any one know if this will work and if i can even stick an electronic locker in a TTB setup the reason im doing this is i dont plan on a lot of like extreme trail / rock stuff just lots of mud and some rocks and LOTS of snow (Wisconsin snow) basically going for a simple bolt on lift bolt in locker bigger tires upgraded steering all parts to come from a 91-98 Ford explorer unless there something that would be better
(plan to just buy an explorer and strip it for what i want maybe even motor tranny :icon_surprised:)
whole point of it is to make a vehicle that can get stuck cause im sick of getting stuck
The Dana 35 was in the Explorer from 1990-1994. Yes you can put it in the Bronco II. Expect to have to shorten your front driveshaft.

Yes, you can get electric lockers if you have the Dana 35 / 8.8 Explorer axles.

1b.id like to put a wider axel on the rear just to try and make up for the higher height of the trucks center of gravity if even possible is there one that a would match up the same as the stock one and if theres a vehicle that it would to come from that id get it off of
The Explorer 8.8 is wider than your Bronco II 7.5 inch axle.

2. I'm thinking of putting an extra fuel tank i got for free a while back in my truck just not in the normal places i want to mount it in the roof rack i want to build and tie it in to existing fuel system using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271584885229?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Fuel tank selector valve an extra low pressure fuel pump and a switch mounted some wheres in the truck
my question is any one think this wont work? Ive read gravity feeds flood the evap system but this shouldn't since everything is separate and wont be even connected to it. now i know there is dangers involved in this but i think it wouldn't be any different than if its on the bottom.

i should say that i would be protecting with idk lets call it a tree plate and it would have tubing all around it and i would insulate it from the sun paint the tree plate white some other stuff
No. Just no.

Get a Jerry can and holder and mount it to the rear (outside) of the Bronco II.

3. has any one tried those Cree LED lights are they good, great, terrible?
these are the ones im talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Flood-Lamp-Car-Boat-Tractor-Truck-SUV-UTV-ATV-Offroad-/400839384929?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d53e39f61&vxp=mtr
i wanna get flood and spot versions of them if they are any good and i mean you cant beat 20 bucks for some leds like em
Personally, unless you're looking for a smaller light to take less space, or you want to cut back on how much voltage you're pulling from the battery, then I think LED's are over rated. If you really want them just to be trendy, then go for it.

4. I'm looking for some type of see threw wire metal i have some stuff on my truck that's used as a grille but since it came with the truck i have no idea where to get it from or what its called here's a pic
http://i.imgur.com/onhsNvQ.jpg id like the same stuff to keep the zombies and crazy ex's/theifs out seems like would be good for it id be putting it over my all of my windows except the doors well i would would just be making it removable along with the rest of it.
mainly just looking for the name of it and maybe where to buy it or any thing that you think might be better
Contact a local metal shop or welding supply and tell them you're looking for wire mesh. They'll point you in the right direction.

5. any one know of any high amp bolt on alternators like 200 -300 or higher (ill be running 0AWG wire front to back) id like to put it in place of either the stock alternator or where my ac compressor was it would take place
but id prefer to run from the ac compressor location cause i want to install a second battery for winches, a possible plow, lights lots of lights, power inverter, and then my Anderson plugs on the front and back of the truck for emergency jump starting of my fellow trail riders with out even popping the hood. so as you can see i need/want a BIG alternator so i can jump a vehicle even if it doesn't have a battery

6. any one know of any steel or stainless steel pre made battery holder i could use to mount (big one as in 4000-5000amps) i was thinking of doing something under the back seats building a box prefer to buy one to hold a battery so i can access it in the event of dead main battery and zombie invasion
Just buy a good yellow top Optima battery. Companies such as Ruff Stuff (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/BatteryBoxes.html) make metal battery boxes, or you can just go to the parts store and get one of the black plastic ones with a lid for marine use. Just make sure you secure the battery and don't leave it loose in the box. If you want to run a second battery, get a dual battery solenoid from Painless. Check out this section for info on batteries, charging and alternator upgrades http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-charging-ignition.shtml

7. this truck is obviously old but i love it i was originally thinking of swapping the motor in it with a 302w from a Ford exploder but i was wondering is there any kind of plug an play wiring harness out there or something that makes it so i just have to wire up the motor and it runs cause id like the truck to appear stock on the inside gauge wise don't wanna have to add anything extra altho i probably will.
but my other question does any one use there b2 lifted and such with the stock engine and tranny cause my current thought is to yank the motor and rebuild it and send the tranny to some one to rebuild that cause i know there a pain but im just wondering is it worth it to rebuild it for my uses? cause it would save me alot of trouble.
Nothing is just plug and play. It's going to take work.

End notes i should probably say the zombie invasion probably wont ever happen in my time but hey all the shit i want to add can be used for more then just zombies but im not adding much that ain't use full for me if there isn't a zombie invasion so everything is pretty much dual purpose

if you could answer my Questions with the numbers it will make it less confusing for all involved

and for now i think this is all the questions i have but there will probably be more.
My advice:

1) Ditch the Bronco II and get a 2-door Ford Explorer Sport. It has the better / stronger axles and 4.0L V6 already. By the time you spend the money fixing up your Bronco, you could have just bought an Explorer sport and saved the headaches.

2) By a used Ford Explorer and swap everything in to your Bronco II.

3) V-8 swaps are cool, but problematic. heat will be your enemy, and you'll always have one eye on the temp gauge.

Last edited:

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
THIS!

1) Ditch the Bronco II and get a 2-door Ford Explorer Sport. It has the better / stronger axles and 4.0L V6 already. By the time you spend the money fixing up your Bronco, you could have just bought an Explorer sport and saved the headaches.

Don't get me wrong I love my little BII's. BUT..... I picked up a '92 Sport with the intention of stripping it down for the goodies,...ummm.... ain't happening. This thing is tits. I'm picking up another on Saturday. I don't know why but there is a butt load of the sports coming up for sale in my part of the world at GREAT prices AND...WITH 5 SPD TRANNYS!!!!!!!!!!!! NO A4LD CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
gonna reply as they came in so here we go

Hopster it is very much serious

Mickey the zombie stuff is sort of a joke mainly just wanna make the truck tougher then it is and i do think the zombies wont be able to get in just by smashing a window

yeah probably better too (but it has been down)

dirtcowboy, ummm idk what to say

sorry i hate typing punctuation my skool shulda lerned me beta

not sure on what your asking but the battery are high performance car audio/ hi drain 12/14/16v battery's you can get them threw mechman.com i believe

psycHOarsOnisT yes sir very much so

alwaysFlOoReD 1 knew that but im gonna assume my tire choice should work
1b ty
2 ill take that in to consideration
3 me either
4 ty
5 me either
6 ty
7 ill look in to it when it comes to it i guess

yeah i know i do but alas it has been done

thanks Richard

Jim Oaks
1 ty
1b ty
2 doesn't quite answer my question but ty anyway
3 actually that was why i was doing it plus i just like them and not because every one else has them i actually hate that
4 ty and i actually did that after looking for metal for a roof rack and none of the ones i found have it
5 ill have to look in to that all
6 ^
7 i know that anything that would get me half way?

1 i love my bronco II looked in to the explorer sport ill pass sooner get a 88-89 blazer over that exploder

2 kinda the current plan cause then i was gonna use the front seats as gaming chairs you know reduce reuse recycle

3 didn't know heat was an issue but the more i thought about it im just gonna rebuild my engine and send the tyranny off to be rebuilt unless any of you know of a better one then stock that will bolt up to the stock v6 with out much extra work

dirtcowboy um read above statement and i guess the only way id get one if i liked the way it looked but to me it just looks like a failed attempt at remaking the bronco II and that makes me very unhappy

and once again thank you to all for responding even though some of you think im crazy

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
With lockers and mud tires your still non invincible to mud, you can get easily stuck if you don't know what your doing. Good luck on all that, post some pictures when your done.

Mike Tonon

I thought about putting a dual tank on my 87 Ranger, but I was going to rig it so I could somehow hide a keg down there and tap it through the filler door... Hey, I was like 19.

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
mike its to bad imma smoke not a drinker other wise id do that just for you my idea for something like that would be if your tryna hide it from say the cops
cut the top off the gas tank and stuff the keg in there make sure you have one mounted some where else that you can actually use and once its the kegs in have it dispense from a hose in the filler door and have a button in there that turns a compressor on to pressurize the keg to force the beer out threw hose and just put a valve on it so when you want beer open valve dont want beer close valve

MastuhWaffles i know their not gonna make me invincible but there main for winter cause currently if i lose traction to one tire i go no where and i don't like driving around in 4wd so it would be so i could lock up the rear and even the front end when ever i know im gonna need more traction and then unlock it when i dont need em locked for ease in turning around corners or just turning around in general

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
mike its to bad imma smoke not a drinker other wise id do that just for you my idea for something like that would be if your tryna hide it from say the cops
cut the top off the gas tank and stuff the keg in there make sure you have one mounted some where else that you can actually use and once its the kegs in have it dispense from a hose in the filler door and have a button in there that turns a compressor on to pressurize the keg to force the beer out threw hose and just put a valve on it so when you want beer open valve dont want beer close valve

MastuhWaffles i know their not gonna make me invincible but there main for winter cause currently if i lose traction to one tire i go no where and i don't like driving around in 4wd so it would be so i could lock up the rear and even the front end when ever i know im gonna need more traction and then unlock it when i dont need em locked for ease in turning around corners or just turning around in general
Instead of a locker just get fords posi trac. It's what I have and it makes things easier, you don't have to unlock them yourself and they are completely rebuildable.

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
MastuhWaffles while that would probably be the easier way and lots cheaper i just wanna go the locker route because when i need the power to all 4 or 2 of the wheels for what ever reason all i do is flip a switch and boom true 4wd plus i already put the planning in to where i'm gonna put the switches and that's like half the work here's the switches i'm gonna use in case anyone is wondering
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221554939067?var=520410180383

certain companys sell 7 of the switches for 4.99 ish maybe more or less depends on if its free shipping

the other reason i figure i might as well just do the electric lockers is i like to work on my truck so by buying them i then get to do the work to put em in a
also i plan on putting over 500 bucks in on LED lights and switches after all is said and done ill have 22 extra light units on the truck for a total of 168 extra leds and then im stuffing more money in everything else

the lights im using are these
1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161541976263
2.http://www.ebay.com/itm/171462309352?var=470501386577

now some may ask where the **** you gonna put 22 lights and my answer is ill tell where
10 or more of #1's are going on my custom roof rack

the thing in the back is a roof mounted gas tank which would be encased in steel except for a breather hole and then would have a solar panel mounted on top of the truck
lights on rack
the 4 in front are gonna be light bar switch
the 4 on the corners are the Zombie lights Switch
then the 2 on the rear are gonna be the rear lights switch Derp :icon_rofl:
2 #4's on front bumper (fog/driving lights)
4 #2's on top or under the front bumper (Bunny Burners)
2 #2's under rear bumper (reverse lights)
2 #2's at top or bottom of rear window (for reverse lights if needed) other wise they will be connected underneath the rear bumper for addition lights controlled by the Rear lights switch or some where else idk yet

oh yeah and the head lights will be replaced with leds if i like the ones i buy other wise there going right back

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals