• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

reese hitch

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i scored a free reese hitch from my step brother today.:yahoo:
my question is the hitch is the universal type part #37042. my question is since he took it off of a dodge dakota what suprises will i encounter trying to put this hitch on my '04 ranger?
thanks in advance for any onfo......grey ghost

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why not go on Reese's website? You have the part number. How are we supposed to know?

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Width might be different, bolt holes are probably different.
since it has the adjustment holes for the width i don't understand why it wouldn't work
Why not go on Reese's website? You have the part number. How are we supposed to know?
i was looking for advice as to how strong this hitch would be compaired to a one peice? i guess i was asking to much. as i'll be cutting this up for junk and pulling trailers with ford's excuse for a bumper. that allready has been tweeked by me loading my polaris ranger 6x6 onto my trailer.what are they afraid to make a bumper like they did in the '70's?sorry for bothering to ask.maybe i need a diffrent truck to transport this toy:icon_confused:
the hitch

this is the same as what i'm hauling on a 4x6 trailer

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
That hitch will definitely be stronger than your bumper. It is probably rated to 3500lbs. I recommend going to the reese hitch website and seeing what the specs are on that hitch and making sure that it is supposed to fit a ranger.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
I have that same hitch, I wanna say its rated for 5000 lbs but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I did manage to tweak my frame where it bolts to trying to snatch someone out so I figure

Universal Reese Hitch > Ranger Frame

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have that same hitch, I wanna say its rated for 5000 lbs but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I did manage to tweak my frame where it bolts to trying to snatch someone out so I figure

Universal Reese Hitch > Ranger Frame
thanks southern3.0, i went and looked at a 99 4x4 ram 2500 Cummins diesel,{no turbo} they were asking $2200 had 137,240 miles may get it for a work truck and leve the ranger for going to church on sunday...:dunno:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had one on my 83 F150.

Pulled my 77 LTD II home on a car hauler, prolly around 5500lbs total, no problems with it.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some hitches fit more than one truck--for instance a North Star hitch I put on a Chevy once was the same as the one for a '73-'96 Ford--you just flipped the end plates around. I thought you were asking if it would fit your truck because you said "what surprises will I encouter if I try to put this on my truck." Also, you didn't show us the hitch. But yeah, that guy has enough adjustability it should fit on anything-particulary if you weld it. And the strength will be more than adequate. It's probably a 5,000# hitch at least because the step bumper is probably a 3,500#. I would use the bumper for that little trailer though. I use my bumper ball for most trailers and the receiver for the pintle hook so I don't have to switch things around.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some hitches fit more than one truck--for instance a North Star hitch I put on a Chevy once was the same as the one for a '73-'96 Ford--you just flipped the end plates around. I thought you were asking if it would fit your truck because you said "what surprises will I encouter if I try to put this on my truck." Also, you didn't show us the hitch. But yeah, that guy has enough adjustability it should fit on anything-particulary if you weld it. And the strength will be more than adequate. It's probably a 5,000# hitch at least because the step bumper is probably a 3,500#. I would use the bumper for that little trailer though. I use my bumper ball for most trailers and the receiver for the pintle hook so I don't have to switch things around.
i was using the bumper to tow that 6x6 but everytime i loaded it i seem to bend up the center of the bumper...funny sounding i agree considering this truck only has 34 thosand miles on it and is an '04..:icon_confused:

i made an offer on the dodge so time will tell .:dunno:

aerobird88

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have that exact Reese hitch on my 88 Ranger. The instructions did not take into account some of the large rivets where the frame cross members connect, but using a few of the extra spacers I was able to get it on securely, and have towed a number of trailers with it. It's done fantastic and is very well made. I also like how well it fit under the bumper and still left plenty of room for the spare tire to raise and lower as it should.

-Michael

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals