• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which engine for towing?

choppychop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
No truck yet
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at purchasing a used ranger soon and hope someones could point me in the right direction or maybe the wrong one if you like.
I just bought a boat & trailer that weigh about 2000lbs and will haul 400lbs of gear and 320lbs of humans (heaviest scenario). Is this possible with a 2.5l 5 speed 2wd Ranger? The reason I would like to get the little motor is most of the time there will be nothing but a 160lb human in the truck that likes to save gas so he can buy more gear to put in the truck. I figure the boat will be towed 1000 miles a year but the truck will get driven about 15,000 a year. If this sounds implausible I could go with a larger motor but the manual tranny is a must.
I would like to avoid 4WD due to maintenance and higher cost but will I even be able to pull the boat out of the launch with a small two wheel drive at all. For your info, my towing experience amounts to towing a 700lb trailer with a Honda Civic (1.5l engine) years ago so my questions may be slow.
Here is the last of it. Is the suspension the same regardless of motor size?
Thanks in advance.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would say you will be okay except the pulling the boat up the ramp part. A wet, steep ramp and a 2wd Ranger can bring challenges. I had a 300# Zodiac--probably 700# on the trailer with the motor--and a 2wd Mazda and often had to get people to jump in the rear of the truck to get out of the water. A locking diff is about $300 and a couple hours to self-install. Otherwise I would get a 4x4 for the ramp.

Edit: the rear springs are the same so the payload in the bed is not a problem.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Yeah, I'd say the ramp will definitely make the 2wd 4cyl struggle. There's just not enough torque unless you are really generous with the clutch (which has issues in itself). But also since it's 2wd you can easily re-rear the rear end to something just a tad steeper (numerically higher ratio), which will help it tow and get out of the water much easier, and when unloaded has surprisingly little impact on the overall mileage of the truck.

Unmodded, it would be a little on the slow side getting up to speed but will definitely take it, and it will pull just fine @ 60 or so.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was concerned with the traction, not the torque.

choppychop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
No truck yet
Transmission
Manual
So basically if I got a 2.5l 4wd manual I'd be ok. I notice the 2.5l was only sold in a few years. I think I read 1998-2001.5

EDIT
I'll just add to this post. It does not appear they mated the 4x4 with the 2.5l so that's out. What about the 400lbs of gear right over the rear wheels? Is that enough to get me out? This may sound ultra tarded but I could bring a push broom to clear seaweed and debris.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my problem was the one-wheel-peel. And when it spins, you are going backwards. Sometimes we had to use the boatmotor to push the whole thing up the ramp, which you aren't supposed to do because it tears up the bottom of the ramp. A locking rear gives you a better chance of getting out without shouting for a bunch of passer-bys to jump in the bed. And of course weight also helps.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh, I've never pulled a boat out with mine, though I have tried to start out on some steeper hills with a heavy load, and the 4cyl hasn't particularly cared for it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had an auto so getting up the ramp wasn't a problem--if the tires would stick. I have wheeled with a guy with a 2.3 5-speed and even in low range he was constantly killing it--that's 4.10s and 31s. So I know where you are coming from.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I pulled my boat up wet ramps for years with my 87 Ranger 2.9/5sp with an open diff. Never presented a problem.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's because 2.9s give superior traction. Common knowledge.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 6.2 doesnt even need traction does it?

later,
Dustin

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I know where your coming from CHOPPY, I tow my 700# john boat with my 2.3, 2wd, all the time. Like what was said before, traction on the ramp is your biggest enemy. I have no problems because, mine only weighs 700#. But, I can imagine what 2000# would be like. I would consider 4wd, or a locker for 2wd.

I cant recall what the HP and torque numbers are for the 2.5 but, I dont think you should have any problems with it. Its all about applying those torque numbers to the ground on slippery ramps.

choppychop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
No truck yet
Transmission
Manual
The 2.5l is the largest 4 cyl displacement put in the ranger and scores in at 120 hp and 149 ft lbs torque.
Sounds like the lock-right would be necessary...
I tried to locate this info in the tech library but could not find it. What is the gear ratio on a year 2000 2.5l rwd 5speed ranger? Is this optional at the dealership and if so where would I look to find this # on a used truck?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Likely going to be 3.73

HERE <clicky is the link for the axle codes. it's that big grey bar.

It'll be on the rear differential , there will be a strikingly similar looking tag hanging off it (at least there should be). If that isn't there then all hope is not lost.

And actually this may be the better way, scroll down a bit further to where it says "Axle Codes:" and find the Ranger chart. This will be on the drivers door on the information tag.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, if you hunt around you might dig up a 90's 2.3 that is 4x4.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals