• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sad to say, The Ranger is now for sale

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger I bought a few months ago, has now become a problem for me. I need more room. The sub box that is in the box of the truck cuts the box in half, and since its the step side, its a small box to begin with. Theres not much wrong with the Ranger (that I know about), but theres enough for a weekend or two of putting around with it getting everything that needs to be done, done. I've decided to go with a car. The choices I have at the moment are listed below. Don't be biased towards Ford, I'm also looking at Dodge/Chrysler. I'm going to call a family friend tomorrow (at work) as he owns a Chrysler Dealership in a town outside of Calgary, I'm going to see what he has on the lot at this time. Its sad to see me out of a Ranger, but if you can see that I'm looking for a car with MORE room then what I have with my Ranger and I'm looking at a 2 door Focus Hatch back, you can see how little room I do have.

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 sport wagon (I looked at this today) - $4000 170XXXkm. 2L (DOHC) 5 speed. Power Locks, CD, A/C, CC.

Needs the drivers seat recliner lever, Driver side mirror is cracked, dent in the front right fender (soft dent, no hard edges), and the same sort of dent in the left rear corner.

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 sedan - $5300
2.0L, 5 speed, 100XXX km, blue ext, A/C, CD, power mirrors, power seats, power windows, power locks, ABS, new tires, new battery

2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER - $6000
2.5L DOHC, 5 speed, 99XXX km, A/C, CD, CC, keyless entry, power locks, power mirrors, power windows, power seats, tilt steering

and then for shits and giggles
1998 Ford Crown Victoria - $5000
4.6L auto, 141XXXkm power seats, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, A/C, CD

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't vote for any of those. Sorry man,
ut I found that 2.0L underwhelming.
I couldn't drive a PT cruiser, couldn't.
And, with fuel, I dont think picking up a v8 for DD is wise.

Good luck!

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
umm, couldn't you take the subwoofer out of the bed?

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
The sub box has been ported into the cab, meaning a 1.5' x 1' hole in the back of the box and cab. Also, the 3L is quite underpowered, and I want something newer, and more highway friendly, since I'll be taking more weekend trips. This isn't a bad city/light trail (all I've taken it on) truck, but on the highway, its not a nice vehicle. As for the Crown Vic and gas, from all the ones in my family and all the ones my friends have had, they have all averaged between 20-26mi/gal. The Ranger I have now is getting 17 at best, more likely 13-15. Mileage really isn't a big thing for me, I'd rather a comfortable, and peppy/powerful car, let we all forget, I did have that 6.5MPG gas pig of the Dakota, so anything above that is a plus. I don't want to go import, and I want something 10 years old or newer with lower mileage, and this is what I've found in my price range, theres really not much in Calgary unless you want a Sunflower or a Toyota or Honda, (all three I hate driving).

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's a Sunflower? Is that like the old Plymouth Sundance or somethin'?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My college room mate had a 2003 4dr Focus with the 2.0, it got along pretty good. Not a barn burner but more than enough to do what a Focus needs to do.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
well I would stay away from the pt. one time on a trip we rented a one. with the turbo and even that thing is gutless wonder.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
well I would stay away from the pt. one time on a trip we rented a one. with the turbo and even that thing is gutless wonder.
Yep, one of my stupid ricer friends beat one his pos saturn sc2's with the 1.9L I4... hahaha.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd lean towards the 2002 Focus, only because when the Focus first came out they had issues with front wheel bearings and front brakes. Ford eventually fixed them by 02-03, and issued TSBs for earlier models.

The PT Cruiser, I'm not a fan of because of it's cheap interior and workmanship. But, a lot of people like them so they can't be too bad.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
The Crown vic sounds nice to me.

My Buddy drove his grandmas Grandma queef (as we called it) on and off for a few months while his Ram was always getting worked on. Nice car, pretty peppy too, it would pull right away from my old Edge, and on the highway, it felt like it was always right in its power with the 3.08 gears.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My brothers wife had a bought a PT Crusier and it was nothing but problems.

There was only ONE dealer 45 minutes away from him that would even touch it, the cost of repairs were outragous. It ended up getting traded in.

My first would be the Vic since I like cars that drive smooth. Second would be the Focus Sedan.

Pete

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, as a side note, I am an Apprentice Automotive Technician, and I see very few of the above listed, as for problems, I get parts for between 10-70% off retail price, and labor is free for me. and I work about 5 minutes, and live about 10 minutes away from a Ford and Dodge dealer, and a family friend owns a Dodge Dealership. Anybody will say that any vehicle on the road is full of problems, it all depends on who you ask.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the 2.0 thats in the focus is a good engine. should be able to make about 130 horses or so stock, and fairly easy to upgrade. it *should* be a zetec, which is a variable cam timing setup to run like egr... of any of the cars on the list, it would be a toss up between the 2 focuses...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals