• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I tow this with my truck?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2012 f150 with the 3.7 There is a 20 foot camper I am interested in but it weighs 4800lbs. My manual says I can to 5500 lbs but not sure if I believe that. I live in the prairies in manitoba so I will be towing pretty much on level ground.
Any opinions? I am getting a trans cooler installed tomorrow so I will have that out of the way

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 3.7 is a pretty sucky engine, IMO, especially in a full size truck (yes, I have driven every vehicle Ford and Lincoln ever made with the 3.7, with a 3.7 in it), but I have pulled more than that with my 4.0 Ranger, with a stick. The 3.7 is rated for more power than the 4.0, and the auto trans will take the load better. I'd say 5500 may be pushing the trucks limits, but on level ground 4800 should be ok. Especially if the trailer's face isn't a lot bigger than the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trans cooler AND trailer brakes :)

Alot of weight there, don't want it pushing you around

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Make damn sure to get weight distribution bars/hitch and sway control (properly) instaled on the trailer. First good crosswind youll thank me.

Later,
Dustin

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
Depending on your gear ratio, you should be able to do it. you mentioned having a trans cooler installed. That tells me you probably don't already have the factory tow package since the trans cooler came standard as part of the tow package. I have the 3.7 in my 2012 F-150 and I like it. It's a capable motor. I have the 3.73:1 gears, and with 4wd I'm rated to tow near 6000 lbs. You'll be pushing comfortable limits so definitely be equipped with the weight distributing hitch and a Class IV receiver. It should do it with no problems. As a precaution, have your trans fluid checked and possibly changed more frequently. The 6R80 is strong, but you don't want to take any chances.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals