• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti theft

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always Be Humble And Kind
Does the anti theft go on if the battery is low. My battery is about on the 1/4th and my darn anti theft keeps going on. Also my truck is manuel locks and window yet it seems to go on when i open the rear doors. If you want to know i am using the original key.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have an alarm system in a 1998 Ranger which is technically "anti-theft" but not Ford PATS (passive anti-theft system), that wasn't added until 1999 model year and that needed factory key to start engine, but wasn't an alarm system, just prevents engine from starting.

Yes a low battery can effect any electrical system.

If it is a Ford Factory alarm then horn will sound and lights will flash if activated.
If it is not a Ford alarm then there will be a separate siren, it won't use the horn.

You pretty much always need a remote to activate and deactivate a car alarm(key fob with buttons), and usually power door locks were used with this as well, but you don't have to have power door locks to have an alarm but you do need a remote.

So not sure what model of alarm you are dealing with?

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Looks like it does have a after market alarm system because I can see the horn for it but its not connected to anything looks like the previous owner cut the wires.

Also let me tell you what happen before I got this problem.
So I left my headlights on overnight and in the morning I realized that my truck wouldn't start because the battery was dead so I charged it then when I connected the battery back on the truck my anti theft light was blinking like crazy and when I went to start the struck it wouldn't even crank. So what I been doing when it goes on witch happens a lot, I unplug the positive terminal on the battery turn the key switch on then connect the positive wire back on the battery and it fires right up.

Hope that helps to finding a solution.

Also my battery life is about 1/4 on the gauge so not even half but below that...

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For 3rd party alarms you will need to find the "brain box", usually under the dash, look for loose wires not part of Ford's wiring harness and follow them.
Get the name and model number from that box and then get the on-line install manual for it.

There is most likely a relay being used to prevent starting, don't just cut out wires and pull out the box as that will usually disable starting until you reconnect the correct wires.

Not sure what 1998 "voltage gauge" looks like, but if it is showing lower than usual level then charging system may be effected as well, that shouldn't happen but with a "self installed" alarm system people often tap into the wrong wires, so anything can happen :)

SirSantie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
@RonD Thank you so much for ur help i was able to locate the 3rd party alarm in my truck and i was able to remove it safely. No more Anti theft problems.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for updating the thread :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals