• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb'd 2.3 to 2.3T

NightRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I did some searching on here and Google, but couldn't find anything super specific on my topic.. I apologize in advance if there's a glaring thread that I missed :p

I managed to pick up an '87 T-bird TurboCoupe with 5 speed. The wiring is all in great shape, but the body is toast so I'm looking to transplant everything into a Ranger. I'm partial to the classic look of the pre-'89 models, and I've found an '88 single cab that's in great shape.. Apparently in Canada, our trucks could have the carbureted 2.3 up to this year, and this one has it along with a 5 speed.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has swapped the T-bird drivetrain into a 2.3 carb truck and if so, what wiring changes need to happen? Or would it be best to scrap the carb wiring and just move all the T-bird wires over? I'm not planning on anything too crazy - just a nice rebuild to get the engine running smooth again.

Great forum - been learning lots on here! :headbang:

Reed

NightRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you have a look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

Under turbo & supercharger section.
T-bird turbo in ranger was a popular swap

I did. It appears as though most of the articles for turbo swaps/wiring changes are for Rangers with EEC-IV (I'm assuming the carb'd 2.3 didn't have a computer?).

I'm more looking for input on what needs to be changed in the carb'd truck.. And more and more it's looking like everything needs to be moved over from the T-bird!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, computer and wiring from the T-bird has to be moved over to Ranger, so Ranger computer model number or wiring wouldn't matter, it can't be used.

Main use of computers in vehicles was limited to air/fuel control for better MPG and emissions, carb or fuel injected, for carb it was optional, for fuel injection it was required.
Transmission control was added for automatics in the mid-80's, but as long as you stay with a manual trans you are fine.

Turbo also used a few different sensors like the Vane Air Flow sensor, it was used to calculate 14:1 air:fuel mix based on air flow, similar to MAF sensor but mechanical vs electronic.
MAP sensor was also used so I believe computer was running Speed Density software as the base, but not sure on that.
In any case a 2.3l computer can't be used with a 2.3l turbo engine without major programming changes.

Last edited:

NightRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, computer and wiring from the T-bird has to be moved over to Ranger, so Ranger computer model number or wiring wouldn't matter, it can't be used.

Main use of computers in vehicles was limited to air/fuel control for better MPG and emissions, carb or fuel injected, for carb it was optional, for fuel injection it was required.
Transmission control was added for automatics in the mid-80's, but as long as you stay with a manual trans you are fine.

Turbo also used a few different sensors like the Vane Air Flow sensor, it was used to calculate 14:1 air:fuel mix based on air flow, similar to MAF sensor but mechanical vs electronic.
MAP sensor was also used so I believe computer was running Speed Density software as the base, but not sure on that.
In any case a 2.3l computer can't be used with a 2.3l turbo engine without major programming changes.
My T-bird tranny is manual and the truck is manual as well, so should be a seamless transition.

I was looking at it today, and it appears the only thing that would need to change is the fuel delivery system on the truck.. Does this sound right? Find a tank and lines from a fuel injected Ranger for the carb'd truck?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals