• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2.3lt into 2.3l 4x4 Ranger

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
What clutch would I need? Can I just get a stock style clutch for my 1993? I would obviously get a stage to to be safe.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've been out for a while, replaced my computer about a month ago and forgot my password...

Anywho, a stock clutch will last a while, but till wear prematurely. What I did a few years ago which has worked well was get a centerforce stock replacement friction disc and their pressure plate with the weights, it is a great combination and has held up to a LOT of abuse... It was about $350 if I remember right though, I don't think they make a kit for this application so I had to buy the two individual parts.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why I didn't ask this on my other post. lol. I was probable just going to get a stage 2 replacement for the Ranger. I have yet to price this out ( maybe I will do that now)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've heard the puck type clutches are really sensitive, with the setup I have I have good control for engagement, and when it engages it doesn't slip...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a 6 puck in my 4x4 (RIP :/ ) and it absolutely sucked in low range. Instant grab, basically impossible to feather the clutch. In high range it was perfectly fine. If I was to do it again I'd go with a full face disc.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
With the puck style clutch I have 4x4 low is literally clutch on or off.... No soft launches....

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats the clutch I have in my 4wd. Its literally on-off in low range. 2-hi its been great for the 5k miles or so that I got to drive the truck. Street manners are good but it sucks off road. If I build another 4x4 it will have a full face disc like a normal clutch.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Turbo91, when you did you swap did you use the tbird engine wiring harness? Also if you did how much of a pain was it to repin?

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used the '92 ranger harness, kept the DIS ignition, repurposed the egr wires for the BAP sensor, resulted in me only needing to add one wire from the VAM to the BAP for the 5v reference I believe & one one from the ecu to a ground for octane setting control. Was a really easy swap and was done in like 30 minutes haha.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I assume using the TBird ECU? I planned on using the T-Bird wiring harness and the PCM hoping that would be the best solution, I plan on keeping the distributor for know.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just keep the DIS, stronger spark, and use the ranger harness, it'll pretty much directly fit, you only have to move about 10 wires at the ECM for the turbo ECM... it's by far the cleanest looking setup... I mean, you could use the T bird harness but all the wires are already there... if you find a connector that doesn't match up, use the component off the Ranger engine... except the airflow sensor, you need the T bird one...

Keeping the DIS is as simple as removing the front seal housing from the Ranger engine, making a template off the Ranger engine for the holes to mount the crank sensor bracket, drilling the holes to tap for 6mm bolts, cut the head off of a 6mm bolt to use as a pin for the alignment pin then Loctite it in place. It's pretty easy, and the engine compartment is cleaner without a distributor...

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, the thing is that my factory harness had been cut and spliced and everything else from previous owners. I think for now at least I will keep the coil/ distributor setup. Also or a side note I should be getting my engine some time this week. I forgot I have a buddy who works at fastenall who is getting it shipped from NY to ME for me for $50 and a six pack :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals