• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just some notes while I'm building my replacement engine

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm finally prepping the short block, this weekend I got it mostly cleaned, it was sitting as a shortblock without oil pan in a guys garage for a while apparently as there's sawdust in some strange places... just when I thought I got it all I found more...

Anyway, I'm noticing some small differences in the blocks when they changed to the one piece pan gasket from the 3 piece gasket, this is when they switched from 8mm bolts in the back by the main bearing cap to 6mm. These blocks still don't have the 4th bolt hole just over the cover where the fuel pump would go that's needed for the newer style power steering bracket...

That said, I just drilled and tapped 4 holes in my block, one for the power steering bracket that is 10mm by 1.5 pitch, and as I was drilling the hole in the block I noticed it is in line with the forward oil pump mounting hole, not really useful information but hey... This hole isn't optimal as it's probably .005" lower than the forward hole, you are drilling through an angle, and the material is only about 1/4" thick. From my experience it is apparently plenty sufficient since both bolts were plenty tight and I have had no issues since 2009. I think I'm skipping a bolt in that bracket, if memory serves there's a lower hole that goes horizontally into the side of the block that's near impossible to get to... I skipped that one and still am not having issues. The other 3 holes are for the crank sensor, one for the stud, the other two for the sensor bracket. All 3 are 6mm by 1 pitch, it's best to use a drill stop set at just shy of 3/4" as 2 of the holes are fairly close to important stuff, the other is just a through hole with about 1/4" of material.

That's it for now For those complaining about drilling the crank sensor holes to keep DIS, if you have the engine apart I think it's worth the time, the time you spend doing this will probably equal that of changing the wiring harness from the Ranger to match the distributor wiring... the hardest part for me is finding my tools when I need them, I had to do a bit of digging to find my 6mm tap...

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Is the DIS swap worth it? I am on the fence about keeping the distro on y new engine or going to dis...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You won't outrun the TFI distributor until you get WAY up there in power. Now, with standalone ECU's, a crank sensor or 36-1 wheel setup will give you far more accurate timing and consistent idle than the TFI will.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The TFI is fine, but my truck was built with the DIS so it is already in the wire harness. Honestly I think the TFI and DIS suffer from exactly the same problems, about as many DIS modules fail as TFI modules, personally the only ignition failure I've had was from a crank sensor that didn't work when it got hot or it felt like not working, that was in 2008 I think. It's kinda 6 of 1 half dozen of another on the two choices.

If I were to do it again I would have kept the dual plug head and intake which would make keeping DIS easier and a cleaner build all together. I like the closest look to stock possible although it doesn't really matter for my uses since it's always dirty and such for whatever reason :). If you want to more or less drop in the T bird engine as it is and don't mind splicing a handful of extra wires to convert to TFI there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think I even have enough parts to convert to TFI anymore, I gave my TFI module to my brother and I think I pulled the pickup out of my only distributor...

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Hey Scott I'm huntin for that link you spoke of

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Sorry, I didn't mean this thread, the next one down :), where I was looking on parts opinions, where I ignored most of them in the name of getting the thing running sooner...

Anyway, the pistons are HERE

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Ok thanks I'll dig around in there too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals