• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking to Turbo my 2.3l

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at turboing my 93 2.3l. I know I will need to swap forged pistons into the motor. Other Than that I plan on going with a T04 and Running the stock Tbird injectors/ECU. What would you guys ( Who have done this) suggest for piston/rings? I was almost wondering about using ford factory forged pistons for the 2.3l if I could find them. Also I plan on running the 2.3NA head for now, does anyone see any problems with this other than it killing a little bit of power?

Thanks for any help in advance!!

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On a '93 2.3L, your engine will be almost identical to the turbo engine save for the DIS system, turbo head, and other particulars.

At any rate- preferable would be using a turbo long block, but if not, I don't see any reason you couldn't swap turbo pistons into your engine. Lima 2.3's were all pretty much the same for the duration of their production.

Also- reusing your original head is advisable because you can keep the DIS that way. I think the DIS heads actually flowed better than the turbo heads did.

Edit: Just saw your mention about running a thunderbird ECU, are you keeping the DIS or pitching it?

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Didn't think of that, I would like to keep my dis. Only thing is that the stock Ranger ECU ( from what I've read will only handle 6-7 PSI. Other that a T-Bird ECU what option would I have?

Also..... Did the T-Bird not use a DIS? I think they are single plug heads so that makes sense...

Last edited:

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, no DIS on any Lima turbo 2.3.

Now that I think about it, I think you have to have something like Megasquirt to be able to run DIS on a turbo engine. Can't remember exactly.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can run DIS with the oem turbo ecu (DIS & TFI use the same trigger signal). Heck you can even run DIS with a single coil pack & turbo head. I'm running single coil pack DIS with an early dual plug head (firing just the exhaust side plugs) with an '88 TC LA3 ecu without a problem with my 4x4 truck. Makes for a really easy swap.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know. I've never messed with DIS.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that... It's easy to keep DIS, simply leave everything in place and it will work... :).

Your plan sounds fine, just do some research on the pinout differences between your engine computer and the turbo engine computer, there'll be a handful of wires to move, and you'll need to add a vane air flow sensor in place of your modern style MAF. I think there's a wiring diagram of a '91 in the tech library, it should be the same as yours other than you might have a DPFE in the EGR which will go away... Oh, you'll have to add a baro sensor too...

I'm gonna be redoing mine in the next month, so it'll be more fresh, soon I'll find out what I blew up in August...

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I actually decided to just buy another engine. I found a 88 out of a turbo coupe with all the sensors and the PCM. Next question.... If I get the stock T-Bird wiring harness will I be able to use that/ will it make anything easier??

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Take the stock distributor dummy thing that drives the oil pump out of the stock engine, put it into the original engine, take the front seal housing off of your stock engine along with the crank sensor bracket, make a template on the two bolts that hold the crank sensor on and include the pin for the crank sensor bracket. Transfer those 3 holes to the new block, drill and tap all 3 to 6mm, make a stud from a 6mm bolt with a long shank and Loctite it in where the pin was. While things are apart, stick the original front seal housing on and take note where you need to notch the center bolt hole for the old location bolt and notch the housing. When you get the stock crank pulley on, take special care in the alignment of the crank sensor, I've just been centering it in the area where you can see both parts of the sensor on the pulley...

Once you are there, take the two outer poles of the drivers side coil pack and ground them, the engine won't run without that done... As far as getting the tach working after that, I forgot, and wish I remembered because I miss mine...

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Once you are there, take the two outer poles of the drivers side coil pack and ground them, the engine won't run without that done... As far as getting the tach working after that, I forgot, and wish I remembered because I miss mine...
I only remember having to ground the dual plug inhibit wire are the ecu connector for my DIS swap. To get the tach to work properly all you need to do is splice the unused coil pack wires into the other set.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking of just using the distributor, I know I will have to modify my PS bracket but no biggy there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals