• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drivetrain riddle

that7dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drivetrain riddle (fixed!)

Hello, new guy here. I just bought myself a 1995 Ranger extend cab with the 4.0 v6 5 speed manual and its a 4x4. I got the truck for a really good price because there is a problem with it. So here is what I know from driving and what the previous owner has told me.
Previous owner told me that the transmission was going out and needed to be completely replaced because you could get the vehicle into gear and move when everything is cold, but when the vehicle is warmed up you get problems. Problem one, you put it in first to take off to start moving but nothing happens and the clutch peddle is all the way out. So that happens from a stand still, you do here a little bit of a grinding noise but you are in gear. Problem two, you get the vehicle moving after starting out just fine, you get her up to speed but you need to slow down. Well you release the gas peddle and you feel like you transmission popped out of gear but its still in gear and you are rolling along then you would need to either stop or try to find a gear that matched your speed to get back to moving forward. So those are the two problems as that I was told about.
Now from my time driving the vehicle. I experience both those problems as described but now with the recent snow up north I wanted to drive it in 4wd to see how it would react. Which brings up some more factors. One of them being, I got stuck of flat land because of the first problem from above but as I was sitting there I was in 2wd, so I thought why not and turned 4wd on. Well she took off every time after that like nothing was wrong but only for a little bit and then the first problem from above started happening again. While driving the vehicle in 4wd the second problem from above continued but you were able to give it a little gas and everything would be good then you could continue driving unlike in the second problem where you had to slow down or stop to get her moving again. While doing all of this you do feel like there is something that is trying to catch but is slipping and when it does catch you can transmit power to the road without problems. That pretty much describes everything that is going on. Any help will be much useful and thank you.

Last edited:

Davenothere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The more you do, the more you are
Sounds like transfer case

My humble oppinion, by no means professional. It sounds like a transfer case problem. I assume it is a manual shift TCase, does it feel like positive engangement when shifting into or out of 4X4?

that7dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its actually not a manual shift transfer case but an electronic one.

Davenothere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The more you do, the more you are
in that case I would suspect it is either your 4X4 control module or your shift motor. it is a dc motor that provides positional feedback to the computer to communicate what range the transfer a case is in. an intermittent ground fault in the feedback or control circuit may cuase this issue. I would remove it, use vice grips to shift the Tcase and see if the problem persists. if it does then your Tcase is probably pooched.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with Dave.

that7dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I was finally able to get back to the ranger. I pulled the electronic shift motor and rotated that triangle shaped shaft all the way clockwise till it stop. Tried moving the truck and nothing happened. Does this mean the t-case screwed the pooch?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think your MO5D transmission is toast, not the transfer case.

Your replacement transmission needs to be from a 4.0 engine 4WD truck for the bolt pattern to match AND it has to come from a 97 or older for the transmission to have the drive gear for the speedometer to work.

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

Last edited:

that7dude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It was the transfer case, something broke in between the transmission input and the output to the rear wheels where it wouldn't work. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals