• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code 16?

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
89 2.9. smooth, but backfires under load. pulled codes. Two 'goods', but with a memory code of 16. My cribsheet says code 16 is "ignition diagnostic monitor (IDM) not detected". What is that? Where is that? :icon_confused:

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update. No KOER codes other than 74 and 77. WOT and BOO. Pulled spout, engine changed, so the signal is getting from the computer. Drove with spout out. Smooth. No power, but did get up to fifty. Spout replaced, backfires under load. Trying to trace the path from wiring diagrams.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
TFI is less than a year old. I have found the ohm levels to look for on a bench test and will test the old one, which I have. Timing looks good. No, I can not say there is a difference between hot/cold engine, as the engine is warm by the time I get to pavement.

Thanks for replying. Will update. (And hoping I do not have to pull the intake manifold to replace the TFI again.)

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bench tested the extra TFI. Good. Replaced. Ran worse. Replaced back.

Then took off the idle air control (side of intake plenum). Carboned up. Cleaned. Not best, but much better. Apparently I have found the issue. I am now going to see if I can find a replacement servo control for it. I suspect it is simply worn out or getting there. It is an odd part, so finding a good one may be an issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals