• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to buy a Code Reader sacnner

wagszrx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 1990 ford ranger xlt 2.9v6 manual transmission. im looking for a code reader scanner i can buy for it. just wondering what other people have used that they like and dont like, i dont want to wast a $100.00 on a piece of junk.

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got your PM.

Mine is an off brand cheapo I found on eBay or some such. Truth be told, I rarely use it.

I use a jumper in the test connector, sit in the seat, and watch the engine light. Several reasons. First, if in a noisy environment you may not hear the beeps. Second, in the KOER, there is a WOT and a BOO. You have to be in the cab to touch the throttle and the brake at the appropriate times. Third, multitasking; listening for the beeps (engine and shop noise), while watching the led, while writing...

When I do use it, I run jumper wires from the test connector though the passenger door, to the test unit in the riders seat. This way, I can hear the beeps, while seeing the light, and do the WOT/BOO.

The true tip: You have to have the CORRECT code sheets. OBDI allowed different meanings for different codes, depending on make/model/engine. It is not so bad with Rangers but there are some gotchas. If you can get a correct sheet, use it. The generic sheets can lead you astray.

Librum

wagszrx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
DSCF1401.jpgMy new code reader came today, I got it from Walmart, The scanner was $23.32 and the 6ft cable was $23.12 pretty cool, its the Equus Products 3145 Digital Ford Code Reader Made by INNOVA

Last edited:

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That looks like an upgraded version of the one I have. Same brand, strong 'look alike'. You have a display, where I just have an led/buzzer. Good move with the cable. My cable is home built. Good price too. Congrats.

Umm... The book with mine is 'generic' when it comes to the codes. Do you have access to the 'Blue books' or EVTM? I can not remember which has the true codes. I have the 89 set.

Again, congrats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals