• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 Ranger Issues

cal74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Posted this in the 911 section earlier in the week - So updates to what's been done below.

Replaced the TFI module - Truck fired up, was running good. After letting it sit/run for 5 minutes I shut it down. 1/2 hour or so later I made a run to the gas station, filled it up. Ran to the dump, 1/2 way home she missed once. Fired back up and than died a block later. Costed just about home and was going to go get towed back and she fired up again after about five minutes.

Not sure if the TFI module I got might have been bad? I didn't prep/clean the old backing plate off so not sure if that matters?

See below for what else has been done:

Fuel pump replaced, Fuel relay replaced, fuel filter replaced, inertia switch bypassed, cleaned the egr valve. Replaced the cap/rotor maybe a year ago, did notice a touch of corrosion when I removed a couple plug wires from the cap replacing the TFI module.

About ready to say to hell with it, ticks me off I replace the starter, transfer case motor, and pretty new tires in the last year and now she's basically dead and un-trustworthy at this point.

Suggestions?

87 Ford Ranger 2.9

Starting missing occasionally maybe a year ago, very very seldom and would typically happen only after being warmed up and only occasionally at that time.

Replaced the cap & rotor

Didn't seem to make any difference, not happening often enough to really matter (my beater truck).

Started doing it a little more frequently and got bad a few weeks ago.

Week later I was going to start messing with it, quick run to the dump first and she dies a few blocks from home.

Didn't hear the fuel pump (in-tank) running, so what the heck. Replaced that this past weekend (lifted bed off). Fired right up, thought great.

Go back to it the next day to button everything up and she starts right up, five minutes later she dies. Will start up after it's sat a few minutes and than dies.

Replaced the fuel pump relay today along with a new fuel filter. Fired right up (thank you). Running great and 4-5 minutes later she dies.

I cleaned the EGR valve yesterday and now I'm clueless.

Can't keep throwing money at it, put newer tires on it last year along with a starter and a new transfer case motor just a few months ago. Another 100.00+ with the fuel pump, relay, filter and I'm about ready to cut my losses.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think there is some type of gel that has to go on the mating surfaces of the TFI and distributor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals