• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overall reliabilty difference between 92 and a 98?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I understand that the 95+ models can have a problem with some cam synch. I haven't heard much with the 92. I would think the 92 would have less with it than a 98 would. Looking at a 92 ranger stx 4.0L 4x4 automatic. do these have the known whine of the steering pump as well? any thing special about these? I hear the 4.0 is tough if maintained well.

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your thread is a bit hard to follow. I dont know if you're looking for a known power steering pump whine in 2nd gen trucks or reliability of others.

Can you please break it out better?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im basically just tryin to see if the 92 has these kinds of problems. What I might be looking on replacing down the road. How reliable/durable are the 92 4.0 4x4 vs a 98 v6 4x4...Like What differences are there, the pro's and cons. Also im wondering about the speed limiter in the two, looks like the 92 tops at 95mph?

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Which v6 are you looking at in a 98? A 4.0 or 3.0? And I don't think I've ever seen a Ford that didn't have the p/s whine :icon_rofl: I like the sound oddly enough.

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hehe, most of mine from the mid 90's back had that whine. If the 98 is the 3.0, you'll be happy to know it's a gutless roach, but a "just cant kill it roach". I personally dont like any of the Ranger automatics and refuse to be involved again with an A4LD. Some have amazing luck, some have it bad. I really like the 3.0 and the 2.9 isnt too bad either.
The 92 is simpilar to work on, the 98 is OBDII and has a little more to it.

Newish vehicle/Old vehicle or any used for that matter is only as good as the maintenance that was regularly done.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
how reliable are the trannys auto, on the 92 4.0?

Id rather have a manual just because I like driving them...but for maintenance and reliability/cost. which is better?

what one has the A4LD ?

Last edited:

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would prefer a manual myself. this 92 has only 127k miles on it, but if i remember correctly they only have the 5 digit cluster so it could be 227 or higher...they claim its been driven by 1 owner, this guys dad who is elderly. they want $3500 but im sure i could get it for 3k or maybe cheaper. I cant see myself spending more than that considering i just lost on a 3k 98 w/ 135k miles and v6 4x4 5 spd, all i wanted. because i responded too slow...anyways, heres some pics....

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
3500 for a 92!:icon_rofl: not in their wildest dreams i got 1700 for my 92 and I was lucky to get that much.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I bought 2 for 1600 a 91 and a 92 . Now I will admit in a heartbeat that the 91 is a parts truck and a rust bucket.

92 passed a safety and emissions with no work from me. The rear wheel well is starting to rust. minor stuff.

The pictures there show a really clean truck. but body clean isn't everything. I hope you have laid down on the ground and looked under it.

My 92 rangers tranny is the A4LD. and while ive only had the truck 3 months I have already put over 10k on the truck and the truck had 250k when I bought it. the overdrive comes and goes. And I have a spare if the tranny goes south.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
and how do you guys personally feel about buying a used car from a small lot used car dealership. I mean, right now you could probably get a better deal/more reliable vehicle from private party considering a dealership type place the guys are based on commision. Just got off the phone with my dad talking about how used car lots will do anything to get the car running and seem nice, and sellable. but will cover up a major problem doing so. But I could see a private seller doing that just as well...

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think 4K for a used 97 Ranger is a bit steep, but you know... it's what it's worth to you.
I can't seem to find many with the 4x4 extended cab, for under $4000. I did come across this yesterday tho. Send him a couple e-mails, waiting for a response this morning.

159k v6 3.0L 4x4 ext cab $2650

he says it needs an oil change. I thought most people did that before tryin to sell a car, maybe he is prepin to cover for some motor noise, by saying it needs fresh oil, we'll see anyways, was gonna see if he would settle for 2500cash, pending test drive of course

Last edited:

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
shop the arizona craiglists. I bought my 87 Ranger 4x4 (in my sig) with a fresh engine for 1000. It just has really ugly paint.

Most older Ranger 4x4's are 1500 to 2000 here.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how reliable are the trannys auto, on the 92 4.0?

Id rather have a manual just because I like driving them...but for maintenance and reliability/cost. which is better?
what one has the A4LD ?
The 92' has the A4LD. According to many forum members, the A4LD provides excellent service when used as a paperweight . I had a 90' ranger with the 4.0 and A4LD. It had plenty of power, but it shifted hard and had been abused by the previous owner, which were contributing factors in me selling the truck. Also, why is the truck being governed at 95 MPH an issue?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals