• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ridiculous front driveshaft - 98 4x4

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,
I have a 98 4x4 3.0. Just got done doing the slave and got it all back together minus the front driveshaft. It has one of those funky ball in cage designs at the xfer case and a ujoint in the front. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to get this damn thing back in. Ive tried putting the cage in first, then pushing the shaft into it, but that just knocks half the balls loose. I tried assembling the cage around the shaft, but then it seemingly will not fit into the transfer case. The angle is kinda steep at that seeing as it won't clear the front end flange until its in the transfer case. Do I need to jack the xfer case way up first for clearence? Anybody have any ideas? I'm beyond frustrated and out of ideas.
Thanks in advance.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had trouble assembling one of these once...pita! I think it took 2 days for me to figure it out. You have to have everything lined up perfect for it to slide together right and you have to start all the balls at the same time. The cage and balls slide in at the same time. Not sure how to explain it.... good luck

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply.
Do you remember if you put the cage/balls in the xfer case before jamming the driveshaft in, or if you had the cage/balls on the gear end of the driveshaft and put the entire thing in at once? Is there a trick to getting the angle right....man o man I agree...total PITA.
Well....thanks for any input...ill try again tomorrow I guess.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have to assemble the joint on the driveshaft before you install it. Its been a while but here's what I remember.
I had the driveshaft standing straight up.
Then I took the cage and all the balls and had them sitting on top of the center piece.
Then you have to start the outter race on the balls at the same time you start the balls down over the center race(if that makes sense)
You might have to get one side in a little them the other. A light tapping with a hammer will help but don't damage the balls or races.

Thats the best I can remember. Oh yeah grease is your friend, it will help hold the balls while you are trying to assemble it.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
it will help hold the balls
This lady I work with can give you a hand with that, or mouth for that matter:icon_rofl: sorry, innapropiate

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im sorry if it offends anyone i will delete it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals