• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rim Size and Tire Width

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I'm looking at doing what i call the poormans lift. Essentially i'm wanting to adjust the torsion bars and hoping to get 2 inches of lift out of that and then i want to put 30 to 32 inch tires on it. So what i'm trying to figure out is what size rim is needed, what size tire i'll be able to fit on that rim, how much modification i need to do so it won't rub, and if it will affect anything like how my speedo reads. Also i'm only doing this for added ground clearence, to fit the bigger tires on, and looks. It's an every day driver and i don't go off roading with it.

It's a 97 Ranger 2wd, 14 X 6 rims, and P225/70R14 tires.

This is my first lift experiance so i'm a litttle fuzzy on things. I know once i figure out what i need to do it i'll be able to do it no problem. I have looked at the tire fitment guide in the tech library along with the wheel fitment guide.

Dan

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first off all you don't have torsion bars if you are driving a 97 and to fit anything over a 30 on a 2wd you will need a bl for fit 32s

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first off all you don't have torsion bars if you are driving a 97 and to fit anything over a 30 on a 2wd you will need a bl for fit 32s
That's nice to know. The guy at the tire shop told me i did. So if i would go with 30 inchers what would i need to make it work? Would the 30's rub the wheel well? From what i can tell on the tire fitment guide with 2 inches of lift i can get 30's to fit no problem.

Dan

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with spacers you will fit 31s no problem

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
That's nice to know. The guy at the tire shop told me i did.
Just for fun, I'd go back to the tire shop and ask the guy to turn up the torsion bars for me. :icon_twisted:

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just for fun, I'd go back to the tire shop and ask the guy to turn up the torsion bars for me. :icon_twisted:
lol. That's about as good as my friend who called the auto parts store up and told them he wanted spark plugs for a duramax diesel. lol. Sad part they didn't tell him diesels don't have spark plugs just that they weren't in stock. Still say he should have asked for blinker fluid. Back on topic if i would go for 2 inch spacer would it probably be easier to just let a shop install it? Overall it dosn't seem hard but it might take me a whole weekend, many :icon_pepsi: , and alot of busting my knuckles. Right now i'm trying to plan this and price it out so i can make it all happen within the next year.

Dan

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
If you can turn a wrench you can do the spacers yourself. It wont even take that long, couple hours max. I've had the I-beam 2wd Ranger front end apart a million cazillion times.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you can turn a wrench you can do the spacers yourself. It wont even take that long, couple hours max. I've had the I-beam 2wd Ranger front end apart a million cazillion times.
Thanks for the advice. After i got the Haynes manual from my local library and took a look at it step by step i saw how easy it was. Now i just wait till i get some extra cash and i'll be riding in style or atleast 2 inches higher untill i get the new rims and wheels. lol.

Dan

three8_doob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.3l 94 ranger 2 wheel drive and I had 31 x 10.5 on my truck and it hardly rubbed only when I had the wheel cranked as far as I could go. So 30s would fit for sure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals