• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger 4.0 A4LD to M5OD R-1 Rebuild & swap...

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
As some of you may know, for the last couple years, I have been building my Ranger into the crawler type trail truck I want all at once. By doing this, it is taking a lot longer than other people's builds, and I'm not getting to wheel as much. I am trying to do this right and make it a reliable wheeling rig. Hopefully in the end, I won't have to wrench on it nearly as much or at all due to breakage.

In doing this, I am learning a lot about everything on the truck. I've owned the truck for 8 years, and have pretty much gutted it and am currently on the part of the build involving the tranny.

Anyways, I have had the auto. trans. rebuilt twice for this thing, and decided to swap in a 5 speed and be done with it. I have slowly but surely been collecting parts for this swap for a while and today, I got a good start on this portion of the build.

The transmission I acquired had some worn out bearings and shifter synchros, requiring me to disassemble the entire trans today. I tore it apart over the course of a couple hours and found the parts that looked bad and looked like the needed replacing. Overall though, everything else looked fine. I think a lot of people blow rebuilding a manual out of proportion. This really does not seem that difficult.

Anyways.....now I am to the part where I need to start worrying about putting it all back together now.

Does anyone know where I can find some sort of instruction manual or book that a mechanic might have on how to put this thing back together? I looked in my Chiltons Ranger manual, and that didn't help at all. It just had transmission removal and re-installation procedures. Nothing on disassembly or rebuilding it.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a good, quality rebuild kit for this transmission? Since I have all the parts out of it right now lined up on the workbench, I figured I should probably spend a little bit of money, and do this right, rebuilding it the right way. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I started a thread a couple months back on the swap process, and I am just going to combine all of this into this thread and try and keep it all in this one. Here is the old thread.....

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11030

Last edited:

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, I've seen those threads and they're alright, but the one dude never came through on creating a good thread for what he said he was gonna, and the other one is somewhat vague.

I appreciate you wanting to help though. I talked to AllanD and he recommended the Ford Service Manual which is very detailed, so I think I may go that route.

Does anyone else out there have any pointers or tips for when I put all this back together?

grumpyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mitchell on Demand for trans is what I have. Gonna send you a pm about it.

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I'm tempting the same thing with my 5spd how difficult is it going to be?
I really wouldn't recommend attempting the A4LD to M5OD R1 swap unless you have an extended period of time that you can have your truck down, and have a donor vehicle available.

As far as rebuilding it yourself; if you have the right tools, and facilities, I don't see a problem doing it yourself as long as you keep everything in the order that you removed it and take your time. I'd also recommend buying some sort of manual BEFORE you begin, so you can see what you're getting yourself into.....unlike what I did by tearing it all apart, and then realizing that I needed a manual. :annoyed:

rkbrown13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good luck with the rebuild Zach. I am looking for a M5od for by ranger my current trans is starting to make some strange noises

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I really wouldn't recommend attempting the A4LD to M5OD R1 swap unless you have an extended period of time that you can have your truck down, and have a donor vehicle available.

:
if you have all the parts it doesnt take that long to do it, i did my in a day and a half, not bad at all and i took my sweet ass time too

Last edited:

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck with the rebuild Zach. I am looking for a M5od for by ranger my current trans is starting to make some strange noises
YEa, we'll see how this goes.......

You ever get that D35 swapped in your truck?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual

As far as rebuilding it yourself; if you have the right tools, and facilities, I don't see a problem doing it yourself as long as you keep everything in the order that you removed it and take your time. I'd also recommend buying some sort of manual BEFORE you begin, so you can see what you're getting yourself into.....unlike what I did by tearing it all apart, and then realizing that I needed a manual. :annoyed:
Why not? If you get the PROPER advice and have ALL the proper parts there is nothing to the job that is any more difficult than you should be able to accomplish on a friday night and the following saturday.

Especially if you "cheat" get the master cylinder and line and bench bleed them.

The weekend before pull the steering column and swap out the pedal support and install the clutch master (DO NOT put the pedal pushrod on the pedal)

At this point you literally only have to pull one trans out (the heavy A4LD) and lift the LIGHTER Mazda back in.

If you have access to a lift this is literally a job that can be done starting at 4:30pm and the truck driven home at 10pm.

then again when my brother and I did the ENTIRE swap in 5-1/2 hours on his 1990 4.0 supercab we knew EXACTLY what we were doing
I had helped a couple dozen people through their own swaps
(including providing complete parts kits) And my brother is a ford Senior Master Ford Tech...

AND we had a lift and every airtool and SnapOn socket made
(including a bunch of stuff that's been discontinued)

Added to that was the fact that when we replaced the engine six months before I had helicoiled the Y-pipe to manifold bolt holes so the Y-pipe took literally 90seconds to remove....

It's all about the prep....

The one thing that stung us was the difference in the pedal support bracket, his supercab had a single bolthole to hold it up to the underside of the cowl.
the pedal support I tookout of a 1994 Explorer used two bolt holes.

We put the new pedals in the old support... that took a good 15min because
he couldn't find his can of blue teflon grease.

AD

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
Why not? If you get the PROPER advice and have ALL the proper parts there is nothing to the job that is any more difficult than you should be able to accomplish on a friday night and the following saturday.
Yea, I guess if you put it that way, then it wouldn't be too bad at all. It's when you're in the middle of it though and a bolt breaks off and you have to extract it then, or if something breaks that was critical, or you find out you need a part and the parts store is closed, that's when it can run out. But that's with any project, not just doing a trans. swap.

So this may seem like a stupid question, but I sorta cleaned up the slave and was lookin it over tryin' to determine if I should replace it or not and was trying to figure out how to remove the hydraulic line from it. The service manual says that the line is connected with a quick disconnect fitting. Here's a pic of the slave cylinder and the fitting I am talking about.

As you can see, when we removed the transmission, it broke the line off. Do I even have to remove this hydraulic line if I am planning on replacing the slave cylinder or does the new one come with a line already attatched?

As you can see, I finally took some pictures, and since I'm doing all of this and figuring out a lot of it as I go along as I'm sure many of you would on here, I figure if it turns out good, and is accurate, I will submit it for the tech. library.

Here are the pics so everyone knows what parts they will need to do this swap. These parts should be pretty standard throughout the years for the Rangers. There may be a few minor differences but overall, this should give you a good idea of pretty much what you will need. Hopefully this helps people identify parts, because it does someone no good if they are looking for a part that they may have never seen before in their life and/or have no idea what it does...so I hope these pics and minor descriptions help. And as I said before, I am still learning as well, so feel free to PM me with any suggestions, corrections or additions that you may feel help clarify things. This is a very basic dumbed down idiots guide if you will. I'm just trying to keep things very, very simple.

We'll start with all of the stuff behind the engine involving the transmission, then move on to the odds and ends in the cab and under the hood.

This is the cover plate that fits between the engine and transmission. It is used to keep various debris and a good amount of road grime out of the clutch mechanism to keep things running smoothly.

This is the clutch assembly which I have put together in this pic so you can see what it looks like when it's all put together. It is comprised of the very heavy flywheel, the clutch disc, the clutch plate and cover, and finally the pilot bearing. I will break all of this down for you in the next couple pictures, but this is just a shot of what you will see once you break the trans. apart from the back of the engine.

Right behind the engine, we have the flywheel, which if you look, has 6 holes close together around a hole in the center. Those 6 holes are where the flywheel bolts to the back of the engine. Inside of the hole in the center is where the pilot or "throwout" bearing is located. This should always be replaced when you remove the transmission as it is cheap and easy to do. The input shaft from the transmission rides in this splined bearing, allowing the motor to spin, while the transmission can spin at a different speed. It is this piece that does not connect the engine and transmission together as one unit. It is a real pain in the ass to have to pull all of your drivetrain apart, just to replace this one stupid $3.00 part. The teeth around the outside of this are what the starter engages in when you start the truck, and the surface of it is what the clutch disc rides against for engaging and disengaging the transmission. It should be noted that the flywheel I have will be resurfaced before reassembly. This is another thing that should be done every time you have the clutch replaced. Mine definitely has life left in it, but could use a good resurfacing nonetheless.

Next, we have the clutch disc which is where all of the heat and friction is generated to hold and release the engine from the transmission. This is another critical thing to check and be aware of when removing a clutch or swapping trannys. If you look at the pic, yes, there is wear, but it is far from being worn down to the wear bar grooves that run across the meshing surface, and it is even further from the bolt heads that are recessed in the clutch meshing surface. This will be fine for more use.

Behind the clutch disc, is the clutch plate and cover. This gives the clutch something to float in between, and allows it to engage and disengage against when engaged or released. As you can see from the pics, I have used an air tool witha polishing wheel on it and cleaned the surface rust and crud off of this part, which still has years of service left in it. If there was a lot of rust pitting, or any major gouges in it, it would not be a good idea to reuse it, but this piece is absolutely fine.

This is what the slave cylinder looks like. It fits between the clutch assembly and the transmission and bolts to the inside housing of the transmission. It is used to engage and disengage the clutch and is fed by pressurized hydraulic (Brake) fluid. This is an extremely critical part in that it directly engages and locks together the engine and transmission for movement of the vehicle, or disengages the engine and transmission for stopping, etc.

When you push your foot to the floor on the clutch pedal, this slave cylinder collar part presses against the clutch plate and housing, which breaks the friction between the clutch discs and the flywheel and clutch housing. This allows the transmission to be shifted into gear while the car can be sitting still and running without having the drivetrain engaged. By equally letting the clutch out, and giving the truck some gas, you can bring the vehicle up to speed without stalling it and get it moving. Helical cut, synchronized gears in the transmission allow us to shift while the vehicle is in motion and the transmission is turning without having to match RPMs and vehicle speed like some of the older manual transmission equipped vehicles.

OK, so now that we have gotten down to this point. This is looking at the front of the trans. The slave cylinder bolts up to this part of the transmission and I believe the pump for the trans. fluid is in the very front...but I could be wrong.

Here are some more pictures of what the case looks like from the outside, along with the gear clusters that will go inside of it. If you notice, it looks like the previous owner tried his own way of fixing the leaky top plugs behind the shifter stalk. It must have worked because there was no leakage or wet spots on the top of trans. when I pulled it at all. You will also notice the picture of the side of the transmission bellhousing type area with the couple slots and holes in it. The top hole is for the bleeder that is attatched to the slave cylinder and the middle is for the hydraulic line attatched to the slave cylinder. The bottom one is an inspection port to make sure your slave cylinder is engaging properly. There is also a pic of the top cover and there are some sensors you will notice on either side that are threaded into the top cover. The red sensor on the drivers side is the backup indicator switch, while the other sensor on the drivers side of the trans. is the neutral safety switch. It is probably not a bad idea to replace both of these when you do the swap/rebuild.

Attatched to the back of the transmission, is the adapter that goes from the transmission to the 4x4 transfer case. I would imagine that if you had this tailhousing section from a 4x4 and tried putting it on a 2wd manual tranny, it may just work. Don't quote me on this though, I could be wrong as I have been in the past. Here are some pictures of this tailhousing section. There are also a couple big bolts that thread into this piece on the bottom that attatch the transmission to the crossmember underneath the truck.

This is the side that mates to the transfer case. It looks like a lot of the other older "circular" Ford transfer case mounting patterns out there for the cases like the Dana 20 and NP205, but I think it is smaller and will not work.

This is the side that is mounted to the back of the trans. Again, I could be wrong, but looking at the exploded parts break down views online here, I think that it may be possible to use a 2wd tail on a trans. originally from a 4x4 truck, or a 4x4 tail, on a trans. originally from a 2wd truck. Not sure tho again....anyone got any honest verifiable info. or experience on this?

Ok, for the most part, that's everything involved with what's attatched to the drivetrain. Now I'll move on to some of the other things you will definitely need to have ready to make this swap work.

This is the clutch fluid resevoir. Obviously, I already have it attached to the firewall of my truck. It holds the fluid for the hydraulic clutch, and prevents any air from getting in. The holes for it are already in the firewall; all you need to do is bolt it up.

This is the computer that is located underneath the plastic on the passenger side kick panel on the outside wall of the truck under the dash of the truck. Carefully pry the plastic away, and remove your stock computer, and this one plugs right in. You need it because the timing is set different for a manual than an automatic. Does anyone know if there is any other reasons we need to swap computers, or is timing it? I included some closeups of the codes and labeling on the computer FWIW.

Obviously, this is a starter. And when you swap these trans's around, you need to switch starters. The starter from the 5 spd manual, needs to stay with it when you do the swap. You cannot use the automatic starter anymore. I thought I could get away with using the one off of the donor vehicle that it came off of in the condition it's in. After having a certified starter technician look it over, we decided it best to be rebuilt or replaced due to the accumulated oxidized and rusted parts and grinding noises coming from it. For $80 he'll rebuild it with a lifetime warranty, so that's what will be happening. Otherwise, Murray/O'Reilly's has them for $125 which are remanufactured with a lifetime warranty as well. I will be hiring the guy I know to do it though, because he has been doing this for over 50 years, runs his own shop and is just trying to get by in these tough times, so I'll do what I can to help him out.

This is the pedal assembly which bolts up under the dash and to the firewall and holds the new clutch pedal. It looks differently than the one in the Ranger, so we'll see what I have to do to get it to work. I may have to modify the one I currently have. I know getting this one out was a bitch, and since the vehicle it came out of was going to the scrapyard, I ended up cutting the dash up with a chainsaw and sawzall and pulling it out with another truck and a chain. You may have to remove yours a little more carefully than I did. lol...

This is the clutch master cylinder, interlock switch, and hydraulic line assembly. It all is one piece and is difficult to remove if needed. You will need this as well.

The shifter you will need.

Along with the optional boot:

And last but not least, if you so desire, for all you cosmetic freaks out there, the steering column covers from the stick shift vehicle you pulled the trans. from, to cover up the slot in your column where your automatic transmission shifter used to poke through:

Whew!

I hope that all of this helps some people out there. I will be updating it as progress slowly moves on. The vehicle is my playtoy, so progress is slow, only as money allows.

Now for a couple questions and notes I have.

-Does anyone know if I need to pull the wiring harness for the manual transmission that attaches to the transmission sensors on the top cover as shown above? I still have that harness from the manual truck and I believe it is still attached to the engine which I also pulled from the donor vehicle. Is this a neccessity, or are the plugs I need already on my truck which had the automatic?

-There is an electronic port on the side of the clutch interlock switch that goes up under the dash that I have no idea what plugs into it. Does anyone know what plugs in there and if it will be in the wiring harness for my automatic?

-Does anyone have a specific rebuild kit that they recommend? I'm looking for a good one right now.

Again, any and all help, advice, criticism is appreciated.

Oh, one more thing.

-I'm sure most of you have figured this out, but if you're gonna pull the prick apart once you get it removed from the truck, it's a good idea when you start pulling gears, to keep everything in the EXACT order that you pulled it out. As you can see, I used wire to keep all the gears, spacers, bearings, synchros, etc. in order. I am still nervous though that I forgot something even though I was paranoid about this throughout the teardown....you never know what the rebuild kit will and won't include, so play it safe and save every single thing in the exact order and direction it was removed.

Last edited:

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
BTT....And again, here are my questions....

-Does anyone know if I need to pull the wiring harness for the manual transmission that attaches to the transmission sensors on the top cover as shown above? I still have that harness from the manual truck and I believe it is still attached to the engine which I also pulled from the donor vehicle. Is this a neccessity, or are the plugs I need already on my truck which had the automatic?

-There is an electronic port on the side of the clutch interlock switch that goes up under the dash that I have no idea what plugs into it. Does anyone know what plugs in there and if it will be in the wiring harness for my automatic?

-Does anyone have a specific rebuild kit that they recommend? I'm looking for a good one right now.

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
You will need the wireing harness for the manual. When I swapped mine there was a little sub harness if you want to call it that that plugged into the engine wireing harness at the back of the engine and ran down the top of the tranny to the two sensors.

The interlock switch plug is up under the dash whether you have a manual or automatic I want to say that there is a jumper plug on the end of it if you have a automatic, but doent quote me on that I never put a interlock switch on mine. You do not have to swap the computer it will work without but the check engine light will stay on.

Some advice from someone thats done this bench bleed the master and slave I didnt and it took 3 days to bleed on the truck.( You basiclly cant bleed this setup you just have to leave it sit and let gravity do its thing) I would recommend buying all new slave and master. I belive the last time I was in O'Reilly's they sell them prebled and ready to install.

I would not reuse the slave no matter what if it goes out you have to repull the tranny to replace def. worth $60-$100 now.

Also just to clarify from your pics above the pilot bearing is installed in the end of the crankshaft of the engine most auto's don't use one so there will not be one in there you will need to put one in.(On a side note if you get a engine used and you have a auto make sure you check that the used engine doesn't have one in it, it will push your tourqe converter into your tranny and blow out the pump. Not that I'd know this from experience or anything.)

The throwout bearing is on the end of the slave cylinder and is what pushes on the clutch pressure plate that is spinnig at engine speed and the slave is not moving its bolted to the tranny hence the need for the bearing

AllanD was very helpfull when I did mine I purchased just about everything I needed for the swap including a rebuilt tranny from him.(At a very reasonable rate might I add.) And he was able to wnswer any questions I had.

The 2wd and 4wd extension housings can be swapped but you also have to swap the tailshaft of the tranny, which I believe you have to disassemble the entire tranny to do but not sure on that.(AllanD would know)

On the petal issue I did mine different than most the write ups I've read on here. I didn't take my dash out I was able to remove the rod the petals hang on and swap the brake petal and add the clutch petal. It wasnt easy or fun but I got it done. It seems like it would be easier than pulling the dash but it is very cramped

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 on a new slave. I believe the fly wheel pictured is the 10" 4.0L version and has the pilot bearing pressed into the fly wheel. You can just make out the needle bearings in the photo.

I would have the fly wheel refaced and a new disc installed since you can't get at them once they are on. Great show & tell.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals