• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another TBI swap

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Well the title says it all, only this time its on my dads truck. Took 10 hours to do the swap, that included putting a different gas tank in that has a fuel pump, new fuel lines and plumbing it all, taking out the feed back carb stuff, putting in the TBI stuff, doing a bit of wiring, running to the auto parts stire to get a few things and taking breaks for lunch, drinks, etc....

We arent 100% done, we still have to take the manual fuel pump off, put the bed of the truck back on, tape up some of the wires under the hood. But right now it runs, started on the first try and idled great but we got so excited that we left some of the vacuum spot on the vacuum tree open, forgot to hook yup the MAP sensor but thats all taken care of now. Right now it idles at 1200 rpm but we will have that fixed tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures, I will get more tomorrow showing better detail of what we all did.

Last time this set-up will be used!!!!!!
[/IMG]

Glad that all out of the truck now.
[/IMG]

The easy wires to hook up, temp sensore, air temp, EGR valve, etc... (the plug and play wires)

[/IMG]

10 hours later its in and running!!!!!

[/IMG]

And the wires that arent used, more details about them below.

[/IMG]

The wires in my hand are the ones for the diagnostics testing. The two other connectors left of it were plugged into the the T-Birds wiring harness and they powered the TFI dizzy but we spliced the respective Rangers wires from its wiring harness from the driverside firewall into the T-Birds Dizzy wires (only 3 of them) and made them still work and it allowed use to still use the factory guages and alternator wires. The black one all the way to the left we dont know what it was used for but its a 12volt live all the time wire so we will be getting rid of it soon.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its complete assembly wise other then needing to get a gas tank filler neck, the one off the old gas takn is to short so we are running to the JY Monday. All we need to do now is fine tune it (adjust the regulator to what the engine needs, check all the systems to make sure they are working). Our first test drive was great other then hesitation due to a huge vacuum leak around the TBI spacer, I accidently used the carb. one but 5 min later it was changed out.

Here are some finished shots.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The gas tank with a custom made tank strap.
[/IMG]

After this there will be body work done to it, that will hopefully be soon.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad and I just got back from a road test and it did great and got it up to 55mph. It died twice due to when we were at stop lights the idles would drop low, around 650 rpm, and when you gave it gas the system would over give and kill it. But when kept at 900-1000 rpm at stop lights it did fine so when we got home I adjusted it to idle at 900-1000rpm and it takes off great (this was all done on a warm engine so tomorrow is more test day).

Fill it up with gas is a pain until we get a new filler neck, we can only fill it up with gas cans or if we go to a gas station somebody has to get under the truck to hold the filler neck up to the gas door so the nozzle can be put in.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to the JY today to get a filler hose, new they are $100 but we got ours for free (its good to know the poeple their) but we didnt walk out empty handede, dad bought a lawmboy lawn mower for $35 and a parts moped for my little bro for $25. The mower we can get running but the moped I think I can get it running in the next few days and we will have two of them, little bro gets the best of the two.

What we had to do with the new filler neck hose, plastic tank, was took its top part and put it on the old filler neck hose, metal tank, and made a hybrid of the two, so it would be long enough.

The fuel regulator screw was screwed in a bit to reduce how much fuel its getting today, it still hesitates for a second on take offs and when idling smells rich.

Other then that it goes down the road very smoothly at 60mph. I has alot more power too, now it cherps the tires and before we couldnt get it to do that.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So did you guys take more pics while doing it and are you going to go over step by step what you did?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That basiclly is step by step, the article in the tech library give details on the fuel system so thats why I didnt go into that.

As for what wires go to where is very simple. There are six wires that are on the TFI moduel. Three go to the computer and three go into the drivers side wiring harness that goes into firewall. The ones that come from the drives side firewall to the TFI moduel are spliced into the TBI system in the respective places they went onto the Rangers TFI moduel.

As for the ignition coil all it has to be is hooked to a 12 volt key on/off source.

All the electric factory sensor wires were still kept, we just had to take them out of the Ranger wiring harness and re-hook them to the sensors and plug it back in the firewall harness where it came from. The knock sensor is no longer used since the TBI system doesnt have one.

The gas tank used is out of a Gen. 2 ranger (plastic). It works pefectly and only uses one fuel pump. But the gas gauge reads backwards now and switching the wires around doesnt fix it. Using a metal tank type and the 2 fuel pumps set-up works too, thats how my truck is, and the gas guage works as it should (Gen 1). Both tank types came out of 2.3 liter trucks and both set-ups supply Ford factory pressure, 44 psi.

This was all done on an 84 ranger that had a factory 2.8 so the wiring was easier to do. As for doing it on an 85, it can be done but I have never seen the wiring on an 85 and also knowing the wiring harness out of the firewall is different but tracking the wires for the TFI moduel shouldnt be difficult.

If you need anymore info I'll be glad to answer.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Do you think you could make a list of all the parts you had to buy?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Parts list for my dads truck is...........

TBI system, Univeral adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Fuel tank with single internal pump, Fuel injection lines, Metal brake line (used as a cheap return fuel line), fuel filter, extra wire, solider, heatshrink tube, a relay to replace the interia switch, electric tape, vacuum line for the emissions stuff (optional, mine doesnt have any of it hooked up) steel to make the custom tank strap.

I will say the metal tanks fuel straps are different from the plastic tanks so if possible, get the plastic tanks straps.

We almost had to buy the plastic spacer for the TBI because I misplaced it but found it. You must use the spacer for the TBI because the one for the carb. will cause a vacuum leak.

Any other questions please ask, I'll try to answer.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
how much did it cost you guys total for you dads truck?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cost....

TBI system $75
Gas tank $50
Fuel regulator $28
All the Fuel line and system stuff $45
Misc stuff $20

Thats $218 or so, I rounded up on some stuff.

There alot of variables in this. It many cost you more or less to do this. We did this set-up to get rid of the carb. set-up.

And the price of the look on my dads face when it ran with the system, priceless.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that is one of the main reasons i am wanting to do this swap. The carb stuff confuses me to much.

Yeah i figured it would prolly be different price for me but was just looking for a rough estimate.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the set-up because there are fewer things to go wrong in the fuel system and it is easier to tune. And poeple that have done the Dura-spark set-up are still fine tuning theirs well after a year of having it on.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thats good to hear that it is more easily tuned. I cant wait to get mine swapped over to the tbi.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Great thread. Been looking for a thread to help me convert my 84's 2.8 to non carb. I love the reliability of my little 2.8, but living in upstate new york with my carb sucks... I guess my real question is does TBI act like FI but more similar to a carb?

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think it does. Hey danger, i had a question. Is your dads ranger auto or manual?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals