• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3t swap in 03 ranger 3.0

Allgravey20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys, im new here but did a quick search and didnt find all the right answers yet. I have an 03 ranger (originally a 3.0 manual) and am in the process of switching it over to a 2.3t out of a 88 turbo coupe. Have alot of it done, explorer rear axle, turbo coupe t5 with hydraulic clutch, 3/5 drop, intercooler and radiator done, cobra r rims, 245/40/17 out front and 275/40/17 in rear. I have a new fuel pump and going to do braided s.s. fuel lines soon also. My issue is that i need to figure the ecu out but was hoping to use stock gauges. Do i use a standalone such as microsquirt? I see that stinger has a system that is a little more costly. Also I wasn't sure if I could put in a 2.3 Ranger ECU to control gauges and do a piggyback system. I have ranger harness that connects to ecu/dash and an emmission stripped 88 turbo coupe engine harness. Anyone do anything remotely close to this? Thank you!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2003 dash is not micro-processor controlled like later years
It has very little interaction with PCM(ECU)
The temp gauge and PCM shared one ECT sensor, but older engine will have separate SENDER for gauge and Sensor for PCM, so you can wire it that way.

CEL(check engine light)
OverDrive on/off light
4x4 lights
Check gas cap light
Are the other connections from PCM to dash

It also monitored fuel level but wasn't involved in gauge display

So just the CEL and Temp gauge need to be dealt with

Ford changed to oil pressure SWITCH in the late 1980's, so if oil pressure is above 5psi then gauge shows "normal" range, it doesn't go up or down, it is ON or OFF, and this is just 1 wire from SWITCH on engine to the dash.
Many like to have "real" oil pressure gauge, also oil temp if you run a Turbo, but up to you.

You will have electric speedometer, it needs 8,000PPM(pulse per mile) AC voltage signal from a VSS(vehicle speed sensor), if the T5 has a worm gear speedometer drive gear on the tail shaft then you can use a Ford VSS and change the Driven gear to calibrate speed shown same as speedometer cable setup.
You will need to change the wiring for this, as the 2003 VSS was not gear driven and outputted about 15,000PPM which went directly to PCM, PCM then converted it to 8,000PPM and sent it out to speedometer and cruise control.

Worst case would be to spend $85 on an SGI-5E: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=311/mode=prod/prd126.htm
It can be spliced into the Rear ABS sensor wires on the axle VSS and then convert its signal to the 8,000PPM needed by speedometer

Best to look on Mustang sites for best PCM to run with turbo 2.3l Lima engine, 2.3l was also stock engine in Mustangs and those owners were alot more avid about turbo swaps than Ranger owners which are more 5.0l V8 swap oriented

Good resource page here, bookmark it: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Look in Engines section, a few articles on turbo 2.3l swaps and wiring

I posted the 2003 Ranger dash cluster wiring in this thread, go there to download it: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166819

Last edited:

Allgravey20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Good info! Thank you! Now to figure out what to do for ecu. If i can get those gauge functions to work, would a microsquirt run everything else? Its less than half of the cost of the stinger ecu

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what spark system you use
2003 used PCM to control fuel injection and spark, also transmission if automatic

Older systems used PCM to control fuel injection and spark advance/retard but had separate distributor for centrifugal advance/retard or an ICU(ignition control module) which still depended on PCM for "advice" on spark timing.

Megasquirt should have a version that will work with "older system" for "advising" on spark timing.
You will just have to look at the options that are best for what you want.

You can use a Duraspark distributor(vacuum advance) with HEI module as a stand alone spark system, just 1 wire to hook up
If you are staying under 10psi boost vacuum advance can work OK
But having computer controlled and adjustable spark timing can squeeze a bit more horse power out

Allgravey20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
What about the abs system? I had a friend tell me that it will not work without ecu and that i will have to "rig" it up with proportioning valves...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ABS doesn't connect to PCM(ecu), maybe your friend is thinking of a Chevy, lol.

And any ABS system is a pressure relief system, so total failure would allow you to Lock Up the wheels, same as vehicle from 20 years ago without ABS
It can't prevent braking/stopping

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
There is a setup that megasquirt makes that will piggy back off an ranger ecm

Sent while eating tacos

Allgravey20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Also looking for a rollpan and hood (aftermarket?) Dont want to buy new because im going to chop on them and custimize them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals