• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9L Ranger Build

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Truck: 1989 2.9L Ranger XLT

I had the number 1 piston melt down from a blown head gasket resulting in the need for a complete rebuild. The engine had over 250K and ran great even with the toasted piston. (other than the smoke obviously) The engine is currently broken down completely. I am getting it checked out and most likely gonna get it bored from normal ware and there may be damage from the piston.

The engine will be getting a total overhaul. I am looking for some input on what parts to get for the build. I am looking to go rear mount turbo running 8-14psi. This will be a road truck so I want it to handle. Might weight down the back end and level it out if it needs it. Stock ride it already fairly low so I wont lower it any more.

Not looking for crazy hp, but what i am looking for is great low to mid range power and still retain decent reliability. I know people will say go supercharger for the low end but i want to keep the engine bay as stock in appearance as possible.
I read that increasing compression lowers how much boost i can run but will give me more zip while off boost. Anybody got any input on that?

I managed to post a picture of the bad piston, but still working on how to post others. Ill get more up as i start getting everything together for the build.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
In the turbo diesel world, lower compression is better. It creates more boost. How it works I couldn't really tell you but it's true. When my brother built his supra it was the same way. He used a thicker head gasket to lower the compression and build more psi.

Sent from my iPhone.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea, im familiar with how turbos and effective compression ratio work. I realize top fuel runs like 5:1 compression with a thousand psi. The dragsters run overdriven superchargers though, so they are easily able to build instant boost. The problem i have with that scenario is when off boost my truck will run like a pig, and im trying to get more pep from low rpm.

In the turbo diesel world, lower compression is better. It creates more boost. How it works I couldn't really tell you but it's true. When my brother built his supra it was the same way. He used a thicker head gasket to lower the compression and build more psi.

Sent from my iPhone.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
You really don't want to go higher than a 9.5:1 compression ratio with the low boost turbo. The reasoning behind lowering the compression ratio is to yes be able to utilize more boost, but that puts more stress on the turbo itself. Raising the compression on the engine allows the combination to create the same if not more power on less boost. Less boost= less heat= less prone to detonation. the 9.5:1 will allow the engine naturally aspirated to not be a complete turd but will also allow it to run on 93 octane pump gas under boost conditions. Also, keep in mind that a smaller turbo spools faster and therefore has less lag.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ive decided to just stick with the stock 8.5:1 pistons that come stock.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I found a massive crack in my head over the #1 cylinder, so new heads are in order. I was wondering if anyone knew of someone selling world products heads anywhere new or used?

Also, I found a company that apparently makes new castings. They are called Kings Cylinder Heads, found Here and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I have been scouring the net looking for any information but found nothing useful. I talked to a rep on the phone, and he claims they are new castings they have made just for them by a manufacturer in china that also makes heads for dodge. He said they are not a stock casting in that they are reinforced thicker heads to help prevent cracking issues (similar to what world products produced.) Does anyone have these heads, and can anyone back up their claims so I know im not just buying junk Chinese soft metal heads?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Haven't updated in a while so here is what I've done.

I have had the block bored to .030 over and gotten a new crank. I have also purchased a master rebuild kit. Painted the whole thing Ford Blue because the truck is red and I felt at least one part of the truck had to be blue on a Ford... :bsflag:

I also had a guy make me some aluminum spacers so i could perform the free floating valve job and am still working on clearances for those. I will get some pics up of those later.

I purchased a set of Pacesetter headers, new rubber engine mounts, new 180* thermostat, and a clutch kit. Also new TO bearing and misc gaskets.

The engine is coming together real nice, but i have some questions:

1. Should I switch to MAF and install larger injectors for use with the turbo? I could get into an aftermarket fuel management system but I would like to avoid costs/work where possible since I am looking to run a relatively low power/low boost system.

2. I read an article about a larger radiator that bolts right into the 2.9l ranger but i cant seem to find where i saw it. I think it mentioned a 4.0l explorer rad but i cant remember for sure. I will be producing a bit more heat so i would like the confidence of a bit more cooling power. Also, if anyone has any tips that would allow me to get more cooling out of the stock rad i would be open to saving some cash/time.

3. My biggest question is oil delivery to the turbo. I will be running a remote turbo and i think the best option for me would be a standalone system. I could get a few electric pumps and an oil cooler to make up for the smaller resivour of oil. I was wondering if anyone has done this or if anyone has any better ideas. Also wondering if there is a universal kit anyone knows about. I think the confidence of a well put together unit will reduce the risk of me messing it up from getting too excited to be finished. :shok:

Attachments

jhammel85

It's looking really, really good. What heads did you end up going with? Other than the spacers, did you port and polish them or anything?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's looking really, really good. What heads did you end up going with? Other than the spacers, did you port and polish them or anything?
I got a set from Kings Cylinder Head. It was the only company selling an "aftermarket" pair with anything still on the market. Whether they are aftermarket or not is yet to be seen. I was also told they were limited supply and a bit pricey, so i decided not to port/polish because i didnt want to screw it up. I feel like i have the skill to do it, just dont have time to wait for another set of heads.

Also, i was only looking at about 6% increase in power from that mod so 8hp was not worth the gamble to me. Plus i will be turbocharging so i felt it wouldnt really make too much difference since im not shooting for max performance. Just looking for a bit more than stock.

Engine is pretty much a stock banger. was looking into aftermarket cams by camcraftcams but decided ill just stick to stock. Thinking that might have been my biggest mistake so far....but maybe ill upgrade down the road...

jhammel85

The heads were in limited supply? That's the 1st time I've heard that. Hopefully, They're worth it. I can't blame you for not messing with them! Especially with the turbo.

The cam would be nice but like you said, it'll be a nice upgrade in the future.

Looking forward to hearing it run (make a vid! :D )

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The heads were in limited supply? That's the 1st time I've heard that. Hopefully, They're worth it. I can't blame you for not messing with them! Especially with the turbo.

The cam would be nice but like you said, it'll be a nice upgrade in the future.

Looking forward to hearing it run (make a vid! :D )
Yea, i was told the next shipment wouldn't come in for ~4 months and i am trying to have this project done by the 8th. I just hope they hold up, spending a lot of time and energy and am growing more attached to the truck.

I stuck with the stock cam cause i have found most of the time turbos like the stock lobes just fine. Does anyone know differently?

I should have it in the truck on Sunday, so ill see how far i get. Dont have any of the parts for the turbo yet, i just need it running and out of the garage for my brothers Grad party. I hope to have it turbo'd by the end of July tho. Just need to save up some cash.

Figure id start asking now....anyone got any info on turbo sizing for rear mount remote turbo setups? I assume the return distance is a major factor, no?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
update:

so I have had a few setbacks...I am embarrassed to say that I made a major newbie mistake when installing the pistons. I had some false information that lead to me installing one bank of pistons in the wrong way. (was using v8 knowledge of oil squirter direction instead of using the piston notch direction to install pistons. :bawling: ) Luckily, I was able to fix it in very little time and save myself the problems down the road but it has set back my time to completion.

As of right now, my engine is back to where it was in the pictures above. I plan on installing it this Friday and having it running N/A by the end of the weekend. I hope to have a video next week of the old boy being driven.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
BTW, starting to look for a turbo to throw in this bad boy. Talking to DCinDC, who has his breathing fire through a IHI from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, i have concluded that i have no idea about turbo sizing and what i should be running. I am not looking for crazy HP. I want mild hp gains, putting me somewhere near 200...

Turtlez06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Easy hp upgrades

Kunz Korner has fantastic cheap upgrades you can do yourself. I did the porting of the upper and lower intake manifold. WOW, HUGE difference. He posted some fantastic stuff. Check it out, it is on this forum.
:icon_thumby:

Turtlez06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh lookin great by the way!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals