• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8l Cylinder Head Bolts?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You didn't say that!

The problem with that is the thermostat on the 2.8 is on the hose coming into the engine off the lower radiator hose not on the upper radiator hose. The bypass circuit get a bubble that is a pain to burp.
What you wrote CANNOT work! How can a thermostat get hot enough to open and then stay open on the INTAKE from the radiator?

Granted I have NOT worked on a 2.8, but, That ain't right.

Big Jim :wub:

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What you wrote CANNOT work! How can a thermostat get hot enough to open and then stay open on the INTAKE from the radiator?

Granted I have NOT worked on a 2.8, but, That ain't right.

Big Jim :wub:
He's correct. The thermostat is in a constant cycle of opening and closing. The bypass circuit is what heats the thermostat to open it, the cooler coolant from the thermostat closes it, bypass opens it again....

It was this way from '83 until December of '85 for 2.8 Rangers, until Ford relocated the thermostat to the top of the I take.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
He's correct. The thermostat is in a constant cycle of opening and closing. The bypass circuit is what heats the thermostat to open it, the cooler coolant from the thermostat closes it, bypass opens it again....

It was this way from '83 until December of '85 for 2.8 Rangers, until Ford relocated the thermostat to the top of the I take.
And then for some incomprehensible reason they went back to this design on the 2.0/2.3/2.5 Duratec engines. Some have a bleeder hose near the back of the head, some don't. The ones that don't are almost impossible to bleed fully without a vacuum filler. Most times the air eventually moves to the heater core and gives a gurgling noise when you accelerate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals