• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Line

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I am working on installing a new soft brake line on the passenger side and I cannot get the nut/bolt on the hard line to let loose. Someone He-manned it on and coupled with some rust it is froze.

I have access to only one place to turn it with a wrench, which should be towards the front of the rig, counter clock wise. Sadly it is pretty rounded now from an hour of trying.

Looking for suggestions. I have sprayed the hell out of it with PB Blaster and no luck. I was thinking about doing the hot cold method but my dilema is this... at this point the nut is pretty screwed. I might be better off replacing the hard line at this point and get a new nut, as since the line is flanged I cannot just replace that?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can you get at the other end of the hard line?

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure? I only traced it where it dipped under the motor, it was dark last night when I finally gave up. I assume there has to be a T-junction somewhere beneath the booster where the driver and passenger split off.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I would just snip off the old threaded nut, as close as possible to the nut, so that you'd only lose 1/2" or 1" of hard-line length. Then re-flare that end, and attach it to your new hose via new nut. You can "rent" a double-flare tool from an auto parts place, for free.

In mine, the other end of that hard-line attached directly to the splitter block of driver's side (LHS) brake hose. It ran along the cross-member below the engine. The LHS hose matched the RHS hose, except it takes 2 nuts: 1 input from MC, and 1 output to the RHS hose. Both hoses were attached to the coil bucket via spring, so it helps to remove the spring, to get some wiggle room to work. I presume yours is similar?

See http://imgur.com/a/sUnMy

I had to grip a stripped nut/bleeder in a bench-vice to remove it from a caliper. PITA. Someone must have used red loctite instead of blue?

Last edited:

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Mine T-block somewhere else, its just hard line behind the coil bucket. Problem is there is no room to get a wrench in behind there. I'll have to see what kinda of slack I have, I might have to go the cut route. Good to know you can get a flare tool at the auto store.

http://i.imgur.com/2toHHxp.jpg

Looks kind of like mine although my hose is higher on the bucket which causes my space problem.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Taking off the fender plastic inner liner might give more room to work?

GKM007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Automatic
So ended up pulling a hard line at a junk yard. There is a different route on every one I looked at... Grabbed one from a two wheel drive I thought that I could make work. No dice! Ended up using a 6" chunk from the one I bought and used a coupler to my existing line. I got pretty good at the double flange tool. So far no leaks and the truck will stop on a dime so I will call this a win.

Oh and I do not know why but Ford had a great idea to use red lock tight on all those compression nuts! It was a pain to break them loose!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals