• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Swap Trouble Question.

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, what's up. :beer:
Yesterday exchanged the camshaft in my Ford Ranger 85 , take a roller one of a 97. :yahoo: i change the timing belt too, just the crank have a mark so i mark the old timing belt whit the pulleys to install the new one exactly like it was. I take the rockers to machining shop to open more room for the old valves . there is some possibility that the new rocker arms oppress more than normal the valves causing a poorly sealed? :icon_confused:, the engine vibrates a lot . try to adjust the spark timing and engine improved , though still vibrating , warming after a while the engine works better , but cold is a disaster. I want to check the cilinder compression for testing whether you are sealing valves well , any other suggestions on how to diagnose both valves , intake and exhaust. :icon_confused: and any suggestion on what may causes the vibration (its like i have just 3 cil on) obiously have spark on all cilinders

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First make sure the timing order is good. A common mistake is getting wires crossed. If good then do a compression check. I have never seen an engine that didn't have TWO timing marks! I cannot understand how one could possibly get a camshaft in time without TWO timing marks.
Big Jim

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
well i think this is the first, if you know where is it plis tell me.

Attachments

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The timing mark for the camshaft is on the plastic cover IIRC

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thats the problem, my cover its broken. anyway i did some test on the engine and this is the results.
Timing belt : fine (i guess)
Spark timing : w/o spout 10btdc, w spout 20btdc so, Fine.
Compresion : 135/142/145/140
Just by courious i unplugged the fuel inyector #1 and nothing happend the problem is still there. the engine feels like 1 cilinder are not working.
Unplugged the spark plug #1 and nothing happend again
whit the others 2, 3, 4 if i do that, engine dies and same whit the inyectors.
so i think this problem is not by the cam swap.
when i take off the spark plug #1 i notice was wet, the others was dry, can something making wet the spark plugs?:icon_confused:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes it is wet because the injector is pumping fuel in the cylinder and the plug isn't firing! So the gasoline gets deeper and deeper in the cylinder. Clean the plug real good with compressed air and swap it into another cylinder put the known GOOD plug into that cylinder and start her up! Now see if all are firing or if the cylinder it is no now isn't or if the cylinder with the known good plug is still misbehaving.
That should put you on the right track.
Big Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals