• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 xlt transmission?

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I have a 99 XLT Ranger 4.0 Automatic transmission.
I bought this off a fella who had the Transmission rebuilt.

The problem is when I am driving the truck won't shift into 3rd or OD. It just abruptly happened.
I drove it last night with no problems and went to drive this morning and yeah...:bawling:

The truck pulls strong in 1st and 2nd gears, but won't shift into 3rd it just revs....
The fluid is pink and at an appropriate level. Also the over switch on the column does not work, never has sense I bought the truck, I just figured they left a switch un done.
No check engine lights, nothing.
Please help :bawling:

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally some codes popped up. Turns out Shift Solenoid A has mechanically failed.... looks like I will have to drop the pan the second time in two weeks......:bawling:

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced Shift Solenoid A and still have the same problem. The truck won't shift into 3rd or OverDrive. The codes I got were P0750 and P1714.
I am at a loss as to what it could be also I just wanted to make sure this picture of the Solenoid were correctly marked.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207680

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well its been a long time, sense posting this thread but I had the transmission rebuilt and finally got it re-installed. But the problem is the truck still won't shift into 3rd or 4th. I am still getting P0750 Shift Solenoid A.

But its strange I am also now getting other random codes.
P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A circuit low input.
p0340 Camshaft Position sensor A circuit (Bank 1 or Single sensor)
P0135 02 Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
I mention these others bc I am wondering if its the computer causing all of this.
The engine is running pretty good. No miss, 2 New Cylinder heads

All help and input will be greatly appreciated. Will be making use of the search function in the mean time :icon_hornsup:

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So been searching and looking around, apparently the P0750 code indicate a electrical problem with the transmission NOT mechanical. Pretty obvious sense I just had the tranny rebuilt and I think it included all new shift solenoids also put a new shift solenoid in my self before all this bs.
So this means I have a wiring problem. Little cold out to work outside will have to wait until tomorrow.
Here is the source, guy is a former Ford Transmission engineer.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/941361-shift-solenoid-code-p0750.html
Also a member had same code and found a short
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135825&highlight=P0750

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well combed through the tranny harness and did not find a single broken wire.... I tested the shift solenoid A wire for continuity and it passed.
So good harness, rebuilt transmission I am suspecting I either received a bad solenoid or a damaged wire in the transmission internally.

Hey guys if I missed anything or if anyone has an idea I would greatly appreciate it.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most tranny rebuilders dont rebuild the valve body. My truck was having shifting problems and a rebuilt valve body did the trick. I ordered one exchange from http://www.centralvalvebodies.com/ Trans never worked better since. Sounds like you might have some other problems though.

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Most tranny rebuilders dont rebuild the valve body. My truck was having shifting problems and a rebuilt valve body did the trick. I ordered one exchange from http://www.centralvalvebodies.com/ Trans never worked better since. Sounds like you might have some other problems though.
Thanks for the advice, I believe the valve body was rebuilt while the tranny was torn apart. I specifically asked for the valve body to be rebuilt. I am going to talk to my tranny guy tomorrow and hopefully its something stupid simple.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The main thing is that the shift solenoids are tested or replaced.

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The main thing is that the shift solenoids are tested or replaced.
I tried replacing the shift solenoid before and still had the problem.

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok talked to my transmission guy today and the valve body was rebuilt along with the solenoids.
Code is P0750 Open circuit/ malfunction shift solenoid A
Tested the signal wire for continuity and it passed. (Wire is Orange with Yellow stipe) for those interested.

So the harness is good. The valve body is rebuilt. Solenoids were replaced. I am going to have to drop the pan check solenoid and internal wiring.

Hopefully this adventure will be over soon.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am betting on a BS story from your rebuilder. What did he charge you for the rebuild? Do you know what it would cost to replace all the solenoids? Most places only test them at best.

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well for shits and giggles I ran an ohms test on the circuit and got OL. So I replaced the wire from the PCM to the connector. And now I am no longer getting code P0750, in fact I am not getting any of the codes mentioned before at all now.

I was getting codes P0122(Throttle position sensor), P0750(shift solenoid A)
P0340 (Cam shaft position sensor) and P0135 (02 sensor bank 1,sensor 1)

I am not getting any codes at all now sense repairing the signal wire for shift solenoid A.
But of course the transmission will not shift past 2nd still........:bawling:

The transmission is rebuilt and no codes now. Does anyone else think this could be a pcm failure???? I have found a frayed negative ground wire that mounts to the fire wall wonder if it could have shorted out the pcm??? Engine is running fine, no high idling or miss.

Last edited:

dsm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while, been busy starting my new career ect....
Anyway Bump for the last post please?????
also I did remove the tranny again going to test solenoids and look at inner wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals