• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Me thinks my starter solenoid went "POP"

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Rule #1 kids:

Never mention while riding in your truck or driving your truck that you came into a small bit of extra money. The vehicle will get extra "Hungry".

Took the wife out to dinner tonight. Went to start my ol' Bronco II. Starter kicked in and it turned over a bit odd and the engine stalled out.

Attempted to restart---The engine turned over like the timing was really hosed.... Like it had 1/2 a rotation and it bound up on compression.

It finally started somewhat normally, so I take it back home and give it a once over. Kinda acted like the battery was having issues...

I do the screwdriver trick to the 's' terminal with the key off just to get it to spin without fuel or spark. It turned a bit odd, acted like it was bound up a bit.

Then I look down at the solenoid, and the pos battery cable post (the one on the solenoid) looks like it has a tiny amount of smoke coming out. I reach down and give the cable a careful feel. Battery cable to the solenoid is flippen HOT!!!

I reach over to the cable going to the starter itself--and it's slightly warm to the touch, but quite within reason and no where near as hot as the battery cable.

Looking at it closely I can see light rust on the starter post of the solenoid...100% normal in color and all that. The battery post of the solenoid? Looks like the metal is baked, blacked slightly...just not good.

Tomorrow I had out to NAPA on the way to work and I'm picking up another solenoid. The installed one is about 2 years old, and is a BWD-and what I've read online reviews- It's not one of their better products. So I'll avoid Advance Auto this time around.

Am I on the right track do ya think? Or do I have some other issues lurking about... (Starter was replaced about 3 years ago with a NAPA rebuild, it's been flawless so far)

S-

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
No longer than that solenoid is normally energized I don't think it should get hot at all. Sounds to me like it has some really high internal resistance going on. Bad internal contacts???

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've had solenoids fry on me causing many issues...one of them was the starter would not shut off...there is a very thin plastic wall between the contact terminals and in some cases the external looks fine...it's shatter inside (or so I assumed). Replaced the solenoid and all was well.

Could be other things too...but the solenoid is a likely culprit for your symptoms...and probably one of the least expensive of the bunch.

Maybe pick up some extra battery cable(s) as I've seen those rot internally also...unless they have also been replaced within the last five years...takes a long time to corrode them but...it can happen.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Figured it would be an interesting topic, and a basic one.

I replaced the solenoid yesterday morning with the "Best" one NAPA had. Good warranty and supposedly built pretty well.

It lasted all of 4 starts. 2 for testing, 1 got me to work. Had to move the truck and then the solenoid contacts stuck together. I can safely say my starter is pretty stout. It cranked the engine for a full minute + while I scrambled to grab my tool kit and yank the terminal off the battery.

Called NAPA and they set aside another one for me to replace it. Same time I call the better half to let her know it might be tricky for me to get home if the solenoid did the same thing when I left. So she picks up one from Advance (BWD) and drops it off so I can safely make it home.

That one doesn't survive the install. I use a very short handle wrench to ensure I do not over torque the cable nuts... I seated the cables and proceeded to tighten until I saw the lock washer do it's thing. (turned it until I saw the lock edges become slightly flat) About 1/2 way there--the plastic just breaks apart. Picture my jaw hitting the ground. This wasn't anywhere near tight at this point. So I remove it and give it a full inspection.

Housing has tiny cracks all over it, including the battery terminal one that wasn't even tightened down at this point.

I put the NAPA one back on and thankfully it started normally. I go back to Advance and ask for a refund on the clearly defective one. (Napa's replacement for their defective one seems to be working fine) The supervisor of Advance decides to play hardball with me. (HUGE MISTAKE!!) Stated "If you saw the hairline cracks, why did you install it?" My response "I was not expecting to have a NEW part sold with hairline cracks. So why would I inspect a NEW part for this issue?". He rudely snapped off "I'll do it for you just this one time".

Needless to say? Considering I've spent upwards of several grand over the last 10 years at that store while working on all my family cars/trucks... I'll never go back to that store again. I'd rather go to the more expensive NAPA where the sales girl was very understanding and nice, and the other guys are actually decent to deal with.

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To put an end to this:

Stopped in at the Advance near where I work. Talked with their parts guy. He let me know that BWD solenoids have been having quality control issues, and they have been getting 20% of them BACK as warranty returns for various issues--including housing defects.

Why these people continue to outsource everything to China (including NAPA) is beyond me. The bulk of responsible car owners would gladly pay a few bucks more for a product made in the USA or anywhere close to us. (Mexico and Canada. I've purchased parts made in all 3 countries and didn't have as many issues)

S-

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The solenoid on my 89 B2 took a dump about a year ago. Stopped at O'Reillys for a Motorcraft part. They had to order it so I was sold a BWD Select. It lasted maybe a dozen starts. Luckily it fried in front of my shop, so I ran in grabbed a wrench to disconnect the battery. By the time I got back to the B2 the insulation had burned off the cable. I bought the Motorcraft I wanted and haven't had a problem since. Stay away from the off brand crap!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals