• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello TRS, I'm having overheating issues. I put a brand new NAPA water pump on and did a head gasket job. Only half of the radiator is geting hot also. Not sure if i need a new radiator or what.
Thanks.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You did not mention a new thermostat.
Big Jim

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Sorry and a new thermostat.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We need more information. Does the coolant BOIL out of the overflow? Have you checked for bubbles in the coolant?
Give more info!
Big Jim

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ranger has cross flow radiator, hot coolant comes in from the engine thru the top hose, after thermostat opens, and cooled coolant goes back into the engine thru the bottom hose.

Top of rad should be warmer than the bottom but heat should be evenly dispersed from top to bottom, and from side to side.

You can do a Flip Test if you want to pull out the radiator.
Pull out rad
Put rad cap on
Put rad on it's side with "upper" hose opening at the top
Put your hand over the "lower" hose opening
Fill rad with water thru top opening
Stop filling when full

Remove hand
Rad should drain very fast, tilt it forward until all water is out
Now the Test
Flip rad upside down
If ANY water comes out it could only have come from blocked tubes

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
it does boil in the overflow bottle when it gets warmed up. only the passenger side of the radiator gets hot (too hot to touch) and the driver side stays cool.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the radiator is pluged to me if only half of it is getting warm or a large air pocket that it is having trouble passing

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
And did you rtv the holy hell out of the water pump or run straight gaskets
And what engine are you running the 4.0s need a new rubber gasket with the new thermostat mine was sucking air when i replaced it the first time and the little bypass hole needs to be up so it can pass air through while burping the system

Last edited:

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
RTV'd the hell out of the water pump. its a 2.8L V6. I'm going to try to burp the system.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sine it's an '84 2.8 with the lower thermostat, you need to disconnect the upper radiator hose and pour in 3 quarts of coolant, until hose is filled, to fill up the engine.

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I'm out doing all this now. I pulled the heater hose to the intake manifold and bled the system. Not the top hose is hot and bottom hose cold same with the radiator. Too hot bottom cold. The truck still runs hot. But not as hot as it was. I don't know a lot about radiators, but I can take apart an engine and throw it back together just fine. Lol
Radiator is topped off and when I shit it off after warming it up it gargles in the overflow bottle.... Loudly. Maybe the bottom of the radiator is gunked up?

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Also, I'm running straight water in it right now just so I don't wast a bunch of money on coolant since iv been draining it and all kinds of crap to fix this problem. But I don't see how regular water will effect it that much. But maybe I'm wrong.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a good idea to use straight water until you have found the problem. Please tell us that you have the engine full of water and also the radiator full of water before you put the hose back on it.
Also the heater is turned to HOT while filling.
Ten when running at temperature the overflow bottle does NOT gargle.
And when you say HOT do you mean all the way into the RED? Or o you mean you think it is hotter than it should be?
When full and reaching 205* do you find gurgling in the bottle?
Big Jim

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Gurgling or more likely steam/bubbles in the overflow tank would be normal if you are running straight water.

When the engine is at normal operating temperature (say going down the road) for 15/20 plus minutes the engine will be at around 200/205 degrees. Water boils at 212 at sea level. At say 3000 feet it boils at about 205 degrees, just about where the engine is running. A good radiator cap will raise it back to about 210/215.

So, to get to the point, when you shut down the engine, coolant stops flowing and removing heat from the engine. So, the water temperature in the engine goes up (a lot). Well past the boiling point of the water, so it makes steam. The high pressure steam/air then escapes from the system through the radiator cap (think of the old movies with a car going up a mountain and the radiator steaming) and into the overflow tank. And that is the gurgling you are hearing. When the engine cools off it may also appear that you have lost coolant because the radiator is a little low (not much) and the overflow tank may have a more in it. That would be normal.

Once you determine the cooling system is working correctly (pump, radiator, radiator cap, hoses, etc.) and you put 50/50 percent antifreeze in it the gurgling should stop.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry Jr44 but you are incorrect in your thinking! The coolant system with 16 pounds of pressure does NOT BOIL WATER! If there are bubbles they are coming from other than a normal coolant system boiling the water.
Big Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals