• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No power, can't figure out why. Codes inside

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Down on power, can't figure out why. Codes inside

My 94 explorer has been running rough and I haven't been able to figure out why. I'm starting to think it could be an electrical problem but I don't know how to trace it down. Here are the codes... I'm getting 998 (O hard fault present), 13 (R rpm not within self test lower limit), 18 (R SPOUT circuit open), 23 (O,R throttle position sensor out of range) in that order. I'm not sure what to make of these codes. The TPS and MAF were replaced under 2 years ago, and all the vacuum lines look to be in tact. What should I do next? Thanks

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There it is! 18 Spout circuit open! You are not getting timing advance from the computer. Plug the spout back in. If it is in there then pull it and clean up the spout and the socket and reinstall a few times to get it to make contact. If that fails then simply cut the plug off and wire the two wires together so the computer can talk to the dist.
The opening in the circuit could be farther along the wire. Make sure to look closely for that.
Big Jim

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I did splice into my transmission wire harness to jump the neutral safety switch so I could run a 5 speed with the auto harness. Would that have anything to do with an open SPOUT circuit? And since I have a TPS code, should I replace the TPS? Or is that just a code triggered by SPOUT not functioning properly?

EDIT: Just cleaned the Spout connector and it looks like it has dielectric grease on it. I also found another connecter just like the SPOUT in front of the battery next to the radiator. That one also had grease on it. Cleaning it didn't help so now I'm gonna trace down the wire for openings. Are there any downsides to connecting the two SPOUT wires together? Will that put the timing advance where it should be?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Both, 13 (R rpm not within self test lower limit) and 18 (R SPOUT circuit open) are TFI ignition system codes, so I would start there and test TFI wiring and module.
Computer gets RPM from PIP signal(TFI module)

Good read here on testing TFI system: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

If you don't have a Volt/Ohm meter then I would spend the $20 on one and save a few hundred dollars on replacing good parts.
Bottom of above link has OHM test readings for TFI system

NO!, do not cut out SPOUT connector, it is just a jumper, and needed to time spark, put your own jumper in to test it but leave it as is.

TPS is easily tested with Volt meter and a sewing pin to pierce the wires.
Turn key on, engine is off
Set Volt Meter to DC Volts, 20vDC is often a setting on meters, use that
Computer sends TPS 5volts on the top wire, stick pin in this wire and test it
TPS sends computer voltage back on the center wire, test it, .69-.99volts when throttle is closed, above 4.5volts when throttle is wide open.
Open and close throttle slowly and you should see steady increase and then decrease in the center wire voltage, if voltage jumps around replace TPS.
Lower wire is a ground

Last edited:

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did put a quick splice connector on the two SPOUT wires just to see if it made a difference. This doesn't cut the wires. The only thing that did was make the codes I had go away. The truck still drove the same. I took the quick splice connector off and all the old codes came back. Idk what that means but I'm just going to buy a meter to eliminate the guess work. Thanks.

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the TPS and ICM but that didn't help. I'm totally lost

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That is because it is a wiring problem most likely which is why you test TPS or ICM before replacing.
I thought you were buying a multimeter?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals