• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Those with supercharged 4.0s

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I orginally and wrongly posted this in the "other engines" section:icon_surprised:...My question is,basically ...If you use an intercooler is it air to air Or a fluid based heat exchanger ,Also how is your engine holding up?....Trying to gather ideas and decide on an engine build....read the top most section thread ,and hopefully I was thorough.....

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
99% of intercoolers are air to air. A buddy of mine has one on his truck and has been running about 5 lbs of boost on stock internals for almost 175,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavedweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks...... trying to put an engine together for next springs teardown and I did not want to keep changing things or updating them when I talk to and work with,the engine builder..I just want to pull the old out and except for the rewiring that I will do,put the new config in and I want to try for a smooth as possible install...Thanks again...

moddbox

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
He's right.... 99% of intercoolers are air-to-air.... but typically if they are turbocharged. There are quite a few water-to-air supercharged out there. Our kit and many others are fitted with a basic coolant pump with two radiators ;)

Ps. You may not need to inter-cool. We recently opened up one of our R&D trucks to inspect the heads/cylinders etc on a non-intercooled setup running about 4.0psi boost on a totally stock setup (stock injectors etc). The >200,000km old engine with >30,000 kms on it supercharged (hard testing miles I must say) was beautiful. It actually looked good for N/A. Not sure how much boost you plan to go... but if you are keeping it under 5.5... might not need an intercooler at all if you have adequate fuel delivery. Just my 2 cents ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals