• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Needing 4.0 Supercharger Info

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hello all,

I know this is an issue that comes up from time to time. I also know it's been done. However, we don't have a page in the tech library with any information to help people out. Instead they're stuck surfing the forum.

I'd like to get people to post all the info (including photos) they have on supercharging a 4.0L engine. If you've actually done it and can right something up, that would be awesome. In the meantime, we'll put all the facts on one page and hopefully when someone does it they can submit a write up for us.

Let's see what you have/know:

Thanks!

rpcaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I know this is an issue that comes up from time to time. I also know it's been done. However, we don't have a page in the tech library with any information to help people out. Instead they're stuck surfing the forum.

I'd like to get people to post all the info (including photos) they have on supercharging a 4.0L engine. If you've actually done it and can right something up, that would be awesome. In the meantime, we'll put all the facts on one page and hopefully when someone does it they can submit a write up for us.

Let's see what you have/know:

Thanks!
Will you do 2-seperate sections? "OHV" and "SOHC"?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a write up at fourwheeler.com that touches on supercharging a 4.0. It's what I have loosely based my build off of. The price of the SC kit is pretty high, but it seems pretty inclusive. It covers the injectors, root charger and plugs, plus all the mod stuff.

Hell, it looks like something even *I* could install over a weekend. Anyway, HEREhttp://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0512_2002_ford_ranger_fx4_supercharger_install/index.html is the link.

I have heard that BamaChips no longer supports this install (I could be wrong, just heard), but there are a few programmers that can send you a canned tune for a small fee.

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I've been wondering recently and haven't really been able to find an answer for (other then the t5 from mustangs) is if somebody builds a 4.0 ohv up to handle 10-20 lbs of boost from a super or turbo charger, what are the options for transmissions, mainly manuals in a 4x4 application.

oh and I've heard that the cranks in the 4.0's was a forged crank, I have no way to confirm this though, and so a definite list of parts that would need to be a forged application would be helpful too.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
my build

I got with rpcaster about picking up a manifold for an ohv 4.0 so as soon as i get back state side i will be starting my build and take lots of pics so hopefully it goes well and i can help out other members with there builds

Turboduck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first post ever, specifically joined to hopefully get help on this subject.
i have a 1990 ranger that came with a 2.9 and Mass Air, swapped in a 93 4.0. everything i have read says i can run 5-6 lbs of boost without modifying ignition and/or fuel system. i have an Eaton M90 from a 3.8 out of a Mercury Cougar, along with intake tubes and throttle body. and apparently the bypass, which i just learned very recently what that was (thought it was some kind of pop-off or overpressure device)
my plan was to cannibalize an extra upper-intake that i have, basically cut it off at, oh, 1 inch above the gasket surface, and build a plenum/mount for the supercharger. i saw a video on youtube and a guy had done this same setup, but didn't elaborate on how he got it in and working. (i shall try to contact)
so, basically..... i have a good engine, and i don't care if it dies, i'll get another, or do a v-8 swap.

any thoughts? thanks, kevin.

flamingx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I never gave this much thought until I started a new job and my new boss told me that he had just put his '97 T-bird SC in the crusher like a week prior (with the supercharger still intact) and that he would've let me have any parts I needed off of it if he had known.

But anyway Tom Morana V6 Racing offers complete kits for this, it's not on his website due to that it he hasen't had a chance to update it in a while. He even has quite a few rebuilt superchargers at his shop for sale the last time a friend of mine was there a few months ago. He's in the process of moving so prices should be pretty decent right now so that he doesn't have to pack as much.

Email info@moranav6racing.com
web. http://www.moranav6racing.com/

Fast Freddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0 Supercharger

Just inherited an eaton supercharger that I will be adding to my 1994 Ranger. I will be building a custom intake for it. Should be fun. I'll try to add pics as I go.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i took a eaton m90 super charger off a 3.8 pontiac grand prix and made it work with the ohv 4.0 in my 95 ranger. even have the egr system and everything hooked up so it could pass ny emissions plug in.. thats if it ever had to.

heres a few pics.

everything was custom made for this project.

Last edited:

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you have to address any issues with that much boost? How does it feel, power wize? Custom intake, custom what else?

Do you have a build thread with more details on this?? more pix please!

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i changed the stock pullly to a smaller one. its pushing 3lbs of boost. iam sure i could go a hair smaller, but the stock maf/and injectors can handle up to 4lbs so i didnt want to over do it. .. power wise its a HUGE differene between not having it and having it on. it has a custom intake adapter, custom intake. custom thorttle cable holder. custom idle air mount. custom egr tube. all the compoents are ranger ones just modified locations and what not. also has a custom tune for the computer.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool thx man!

Build thread?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have an older BBK kit with the Eaton/Magnuson M62. Ill get some higher resolution pics before it goes on, and during the build.

It came with a FMU (secondary fuel reg basically) and the BBK ignition control, but that stuff is outdated and not going to ne used.

I plan on going with an SCT tuner and tuning by Henson Racing. With EGR delete, Aeromotive pressure reg, and 30 lb injectors.

Im finding that there is very little info out there on the BBK kit. I have even talked with BBK directly ans was told that since it was discontinued over15yrs ago they have nothing on it and provide no tech support or specifications for it.

-PlumCrazy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals