• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start condition

msdhanda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone.
I've a 2.9L 1990 ford ranger automatic transmission with 4WD. It died it on me while on road. It keeps cranking but never fires up. I suspected bad fuel pump so I replaced it still no luck. I have power at fuel pump connector do that rules out electric issue and also I unhooked fuel lines and it's squirting fuel do that takes off fuel pump as issue. I tried spraying some in intake manifold still not firing up. I have power at ignition coil and from there to on top of distribution box. I can't come up with anything. Need your advice. Is ECM gone bad? or what else should I check?
Suggestions.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The 1990 2.9l will have a TFI ignition system.

As they got older the module often failed, 26 years is older.

Good read here on TFI: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

When you have a No Start is often best to start with 50/50 test first, spray gas into the intake
If engine starts and dies then fuel is the problem
If engine doesn't start then spark is the problem
50/50

Last edited:

msdhanda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you..:)

Thank you for your reply and thanks for welcoming me..:)

TRS is very informative. I'll do my TFI diagnostic and let's see what happens.

Fordguy_07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Similar issue

I'm stumped on a similar issue, I have a 90 2.9 2wd 5speed. Runs decent however the past few times I've driven it I have had the same issue. I let it run at idle til it reaches operating temp and start driving shortly after the truck dies and the gauge cluster lights go crazy (high beam light comes on,both turn signals come on solid, temp, fuel gauges etc. max out) and won't restart. Checked voltage everything is good. Replaced TPS, ICM, Ign Switch, MAP Sensor,ECM,plugs,wires, 02 sensor, dist. cap.. I'm lost

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm stumped on a similar issue, I have a 90 2.9 2wd 5speed. Runs decent however the past few times I've driven it I have had the same issue. I let it run at idle til it reaches operating temp and start driving shortly after the truck dies and the gauge cluster lights go crazy (high beam light comes on,both turn signals come on solid, temp, fuel gauges etc. max out) and won't restart. Checked voltage everything is good. Replaced TPS, ICM, Ign Switch, MAP Sensor,ECM,plugs,wires, 02 sensor, dist. cap.. I'm lost
Welcome to TRS :)

You should start your own thread so more people will read it

You have an electrical issue, gasoline engine runs on spark so engine can stall and not restart if the is no spark.

Bookmark this page: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Look at the bottom at electrical diagrams

I would pull out the instrument cluster and have look at its wiring and wiring behind it.
Also cab fuse panel, check out the back side for corrosion

Also on the back of drivers side head there should be a Ground strap running to the firewall, that is the main ground for the cab electrics, make sure it is there and clean bare metal at both ends so a good ground for the cab electrics

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals