• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump issue

Countrythug101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So i bought a 88 ford ranger .... the guy that had it back in the woods ...its been sitting for 5 years so i buy it ..got it home got it running with starter fluid ..the guy told me electric fuel pump on the frame need to be replaced so i replace it and a new fuel pump that goes in the tanks and when i turn the key i still dont hear the pump kick on ... i test both of them and even the all the relays and everything good..so i took out the whole dashboard out to check the wires and still cant fine the issue why my fuel pumps are not kick on when i turn the key

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First, check the Inertia Switch at the front of the passenger footwell, behind the carpet. If that's tripped, it shuts off power to the fuel pumps.

Then, get a cheap multi-tester and the wiring diagrams and start tracking voltages (measured to ground) in and out at each switch/relay/device between the battery and the fuel pumps. This will identify where power is being interrupted. Remember that this voltage will only be present for a couple seconds when the ignition switch is turned to "run", unless you jumper the "fuel pump test" pin at the test connector. (See the tech library.)

Once you identify that fact, you may be able to fix it, or you can report back to us and we'll provide additional help.

Last edited:

Countrythug101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The inertia switch i tryed that still nothing but i like its a wire issue b/c the only way i can listen to the radio is unless i have the runway lights on

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Then please pursue the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of my reply, above.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals