• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger H.O. Build (3.3 morana turbo)

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Okay here is my build thread involving a trk w/ a bad motor turned high output. I realize that this is a rare build, hence im posting everything picture by picture as i go along, this will be a long and slow process as funds are very slow to accrue. (Donations welcome...lol) On to the project! :icon_welder:

The Victim:
1993 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 3.0 V6 4x4 Dana 35 axles A4LD automatic.

Modifications: (Will show pictures as they are completed including complete part by part installation pictures)

M5OD-R1 swap w/ Centerforce 10 inch Clutch and Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, 3.3 Morana Stroker Kit (9:1 compression), Stage 3 Porting, 1.7:1 Lifters, Turbo Cam Profile (will post numbers later), ARP Head Studs, Dual Roller Cam Chain System, Higher PSI Injectors, Megasquirt Standalone System, ACCEL Ignition System Upgrade, Garret Turbocharger (size and configuration still undecided), Intercooler, 4.0 Dual Core Radiator.

Experimental Modifications: (To be tested and shown as well)

Larger Custom Built Intake (will be made of block aluminum and personally milled out to accept larger throttlebody of 60 or 65mm), Larger MAF (73 or 80mm if 65mm is unavailable), JBA Header System Flip.

Here is the vehicle in stock setting, the oil pump went out, I previously posted 268600 miles, I misquoted as the picture shows 280729 miles, and ran on 3 cylinders home. Perfect for the build as it is: Mine, Paid for, and not running/needs rebuilding. Pardon the custom intake as I couldnt find one available a few years ago so I made my own. The exhaust is a Super 44 Flowmaster which will be changed to Magnaflow mufflers and a new Magnaflow Cat. It also rear ended a car hence the custom grill as well, the forklift at work got the bed by the gas tank when loading pallets in the back, and an 8000 pound load to the junkyard bent down the bumper which will be changed to a roll pan or body kit (undecided). The rest of the pictures and sooner uploads will be done on my personal myspace account at www.myspace.com/rurouni20xx. On to the pictures:

Last edited:

MasherAZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, that intake is SEXY! :icon_rofl:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
shes a gem. Sounds like its gonna be a fun build.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im really interested in seeing this build come together. i hope you can get it up and running.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I hope it gets done with out fixing any of the body imperfections. That would be a sweet sleeper truck.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the most body work its getting is a roll pan, new headlights (one is broken and both are opaqued badly) and crager 15 x 10 black soft 8s w/ 295/50R15 tires, brand and model tire yet to be determined. did the math and found what maf, fuel pump and size injectors need to be run. currently found a 91/92 ranger 2wd 2.3 5spd w/ busted tranny that needs some work that i will be acquiring soon and working on first as i no longer have a daily driver, been bumming rides and walking, after i get my daily driver fixed ill be transporting the trk to a friends house and pull the motor and tranny, more pics hopefully soon. i am itching to get started to say the least, still need some more planning and research on ignition and turbo systems first. i will def be getting the motor and tranny out and down so i can do the m50d swap and start building/cleaning up the motor. i apologize if it takes a while but my funds arent coming in as fast as i would like and weather has not been forgiving lately.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
just a word of advice from someone who found this out 531 dollars later, the magnaflow sounds like a fart cannon the magnaflow high flow cats and the flowmaster super 44 however sound quite good together, at idle it sounds like a v8 i would get a shop to build a pipe that goes all the way to the rear tho it sounds much better but i will enjoy watchin this build

Last edited:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thanx for the advice i have the super 44 on there currently but w/ no cat (i was burning 1 qt oil every 1k miles and just had it removed to keep from replacing it every 2 months) i like the sound at idle and up to 25k rpm but after that i didnt like it so much, maybe it was from the lack of cat and position of the muffler. i was thinking of moving it to where a mustang is just on the other side of the axle if possible and putting a tip on it and running straight pipe and placing the cat where the muffler is now to let my turbo have more room for air to expand b4 pushing it thru the cat. still undecided tho after all this but everything is slowly processing. a guy actually read my thread and is trying to help me w/ a larger throttlebody adapter for the stock manifold, however i think i may be making a custom/larger manifold to accept a larger t/b that will match the size of the maf (70-75mm ish as 3 inch piping is 76 mm which is the size of the maf i will be using.) i plan on porting my heads after disassembly and checking for cracks in them and then measuring the size of the intake ports on the heads and use that as a the diameter for the runners. then do the math for the length of the runners and have that length on either side go up to the air chamber that is the exact diameter of the throttlebody. if i can ill emulate the placement and angle of the injectors on the intake accordingly. im basically going to take the edelbrock victor x intake design for a four cylinder and convert it to a v6 design. heres a picture of the victor x:

if i have to modify the hood to accept the intake so be it, just an excuse to put some lines on the hood, and mongoose hoods look kind of interesting to me:

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you know you have two intake manifolds, right? the upper plenum would be easy enough to make from scratch, but the lower intake manifold also acts to cover the oil galley, pushrods, etc. that is also where the injectors are housed. youve got your work cut out for you if your going to try and make a new lower manifold.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
srry dude but that truck looks beat. Its worthy of another engine tho. Just one question, why not a 4.0?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
cuz a 4.0 is common, i want to do something new and different, plus i already have the 3.0 driveline, just going to swap an auto for stick and redo the motor. i realize the lower intake is also the pushrod cover, im going to try and make a one piece upper and lower intake w/ removable t/b. as i said b4 im going to see what angle the injectors are and have the injector ports built onto the runners like the one in the picture above. one question, ive been looking at photos of the lower intake, does it have coolant flowing thru it as a heater to preheat the air/help atomization? on the front of one or two that ive looked at on pictures show what looks to me like small coolant fittings for hoses to connect to, i was wondering if that is what those are for or if im just seeing things, ill post a pic to show you what im talking about: (this is a pic off of ebay of one for a taurus it may be dif on a ranger idk, i found the pic by typing in ford 3.0 lower intake manifold its the 3rd pic down.)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
yes the intake manifold has water flowing through it, just like your typical V configuration engine. the water is the primary flow for the cylinder heads. the lower intake also houses the thermostat.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
interesting havent had it torn down and did not notice that, thatll throw a kink in the plan but ill see what i can do to accomodate this. this is all theory so far but def dif if i did decide to take it on. design is one of my strong points, fabrication is not due to lack of tooling but ill see what i can do. when i have the cylinders bored ill run it by the machinist and see what he thinks. in other words back to the drawing board for now. thanx for the info.

Last edited:

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
why not just get another 3.0l lower and hog the crap out of it to see how far you can go. Then after that practice run, do an educated job on one to use. Then build a trick upper, remember this rule of thumb guidline for intakes:
-For high rpm power you want a larger diameter and shorter runners.
-For lower end power you want smaller diameter, longer runners.

I have never found any theory on how to size runners tho.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
roguepeformance has the formula for calculating intake runner length and diameter on his site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals