• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98' 5.0 Ranger

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1998 Ranger, with 5.0. has a 8.8 rear with 3.73's, c4 tranny. I bought it, to help cure my midlife crisis. It had some funky 20" wheels, and lo profile tires. That was the first thing to go, really like the stance with the new wheels and tires. Will be doing some exhaust work, different shifter and some interior work. She is a blast to drive, launch's hard and straight. The manual valve body tranny, took a little getting used to. This is my weekend toy, so no telling how pissed my wife will get.

After driving the truck around for a couple of weeks,and learning more about what was done right and wrong. Some changes are being made, and upgrades being done. The electric cooling fan system that was on it, was a joke. Ordered a new bigger fan, rewired it so it wasn't a complete rats nest. Last night, I finally got to install the temp controller that kicks on at 185 and off at 170. Got all the new gauges in, now to start installing them. Don't really care for the current shifter, so a new B&M Z gate, is waiting for it's date. New exhaust is also waiting to be put it, straight pipes get old real quick. As far as the mechanical aspects of the hooptie, all major systems work as they should. We did get the front end aligned, found out the passenger front spring was cut shorter than the drivers side. Therefore the alignment is slightly out on that side, not gonna play with adding spacers or such. A new set of springs will be put in, currently researching what springs I will use. Want to keep the current stance, will probably go with a custom set.

Spent a lot of time here on the forums looking at different builds, and what interior ideas that were used. Currently, I have a bench seat and no carpet. The bench seat, will find a new home at the dump. A set of buckets will take it's place, along with a custom dash to back of cab console that I am going to design. It will be made to work around the B&M shifter, and include the aftermarket gauges and a slurpee holder and such. The current headliner is good, so that will stay as it. The dash, is out of an explorer. There are several unused knobs/switches that the ranger did not have. Rear defrost/wiper etc. I am going to reuse as many as possible, for current needs. One, will be used for my electric overdrive instead of drilling a new hole in the dash. I also want to put in some minor accent lighting, in the cab. The rear bumper, is going bye bye as well and is being replaced by a custom steel roll pan.

If anyone has any extra ideas floating around, all input is greatly appreciated. This has become a fun toy, and a major attention getter around town here. I had considered getting rid of the 5.0 badges, but really like the second look it gets when folks walk by. :)

Last edited:

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks like a fun to drive Ranger, I like your wheel choice and the 5.0 emblems.

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Nativetroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 5.4
Transmission
Manual
Looks good. Those wheels work much better. I'm sure it is fun. Does it have any issues hooking?

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good. Those wheels work much better. I'm sure it is fun. Does it have any issues hooking?

Sorry, for the late response. No issues so far hooking up, surprisingly she hooks pretty hard and straight. There is a little tire spin, but no hopping and shuttering. In a couple weeks, she will get her date with the track. On a prepped track, it may be different.

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did some some running around to test the new fan temp controller, water temps are lower now. I did replace the thermostat housing, the old did not have a threaded port and I did not want to run a T to add it. Also, replaced the thermostat with a 180*. So far, everything is working and no smoke :)

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a set of black leather seats and a center console this weekend, guess the interior will be black and tan now. Hope to get them installed this week, will get some updated pics as well.

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got the new tach installed, went with the green backlight to blend with the other gauges. The Equuis, is a simple install.

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Finally found a hood I like, that is all metal.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Great looking hood. Are you going to paint it body color ?

Tneff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking about having the whole truck wrapped, instead of painted. I kind of like the black hood, but will probably make it match.

86 Ranger 5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That hood makes it look mean.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals