• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OoooK ! Forward in all Shifter Positions WTF??

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
I've also posted this in the "A4LD Tranny Problems Thread" (so admins if you've got a problem with that, Please rectify to your satisfaction) 1994 STX 4.0 ltr. A4LD tranny 4X4. Put in a used one (tranny) last year (with new fluid & filter). Been doing fine till a few days ago. Left that morning, everything fine. Got in truck that after noon and after starting it, it seemed like the engine was in a bind, wanting to pull (when giving it throttle to warm it up, in Park). So I shifted through the gears, finding out that it was trying to pull (as if in Drive) no matter where the shifter lever was (PRND21) . Tried shutting it off and restarting a number of times, no change. When I shifted it into Reverse it wouldn't go either direction (just like it was in both F&R). So I went ahead and drove it home ('bout 15 miles). 2 or 3 times on the way home I stopped and tried shifting through all positions on the shifter, still in Drive (forward) in all positions w/ Reverse still causing a locked in both directions feeling (and not moving). Everything looks to be connected with no leaks or anything looking out of place. Tranny fluid full. I will add that while driving, it acted normally, shifting through all the forward gears even OD. It's just that it won't come out of the forward gears and when you out it in reverse it acts like it's in both drive and reverse (cause it is, LOL). What has happened?? Do I have a piece of crap holding a valve open or closed :dunno: ?? Thanks in advance! ...cougar... P.S. You'll notice I don't post much. That's because our (wife & I's) Rangers 90EXT cab,94STX 4X4,94Ext cab 2wd and 2005 Edge don't really give us any major problems !!!

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
your forward clutch pack is welded together. You will need to rebuild or replace. Fluid smell burnt?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The problem is that you have an A4LD. You should rectify that ASAP.

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Transman304; Hmmm, "forward clutch pack" has welded itself together ! I realize this (by the sound of it) isn't a good thing, LOL ! I only ask the following question(s) because of my current situation. Since this is wintertime here (Kentucky, USA) and I need this 4X4 truck, will it hurt it anymore to continue to drive it ? Of course Special consideration will have to be taken because of NOT having the ability to back up (under power), but if I only need to go in the forward direction, How much damage to the tranny will I do by continuing to drive it ? Helpful input is always appreciated :icon_thumby: !!

adsm08; This is what I have at this time (vehicle-wise). Further comment held in reserve at the present time.

Thanks; ...cougar...

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its already damaged and needs a rebuild/replacement, run it till you can get it fixed, but I wouldn't put it on the highway at speed. Keep it under 45 if you can...

SVT

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Ok, cool. I only work at the present time about 12 miles from home and 20mls from town and those are mostly 1 and country 2 lane roads so cruising speeds are slower anyway, LOL ! I prefer to drive my 90 Ext cab 2.9v6, 5spd ! Hopefully I can limp it through the rest of the winter ! Thanks guys !!! ...cougar...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals