• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 2.3l to 4.0l conversion ( what is needed? )

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
My 2.3l just crapped out. The head has a hairline crack in it. So instead of replacing it i'm just gunna replace the engine with a 4.0l. It would be easier. Now i know that the transmission might need to be changed out and that I'll have to get wiring harnesses for the 4.0l. But i need to know, will the radiator i have fit? I do have to replace it anyway cus it's clogged up. So what do I need for this conversion?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Howdy and welcome to TRS.

A donor vehicle is what you need. By far the easiest way to do this. And cheaper in the long run. Especially if you can get one with other parts that you can use too. Like larger axle(s), or better tires, seats, ETC.

Easiest way will probably be to find another 91 so you can use the ECU, harness, and everything. I'd look for something wrecked but running or lost title (just be sure it's not stolen).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, you need trans, radiator, hoses, wiring, computer, EDIS module, might have some differences at the fuel lines, fun little stuff.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
As much work as it is going to take, I would do a 5.0 swap

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
I know that a donor vehicle would be helpful and i have looked for one but in Georgia they kinda don't have a ranger in any junkyard around and id rather not do an engine from an explorer or a bronco. So i have to get the stuff i need shipped in. I want to do a 5.0 but it is more expensive and i am on a budget below 2,000 or around that plus im trying to go with the easiest possible solution. So a 4.0l is fine and is definitely an upgrade from a 2.3l. I have found a 94 ranger 4.0l engine and I've heard that it is pretty much just plug n play with my 91 ranger.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
An Explorer engine will be the exact same as a Ranger engine. It's just the wiring harness itself that is different, and even then it's not that much different.

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
Well i already found a ranger engine and id rather keep it in that range ( since its a ranger lets keep the engine a ranger to. ) but i have to replace the transmission. Does it matter what year of the truck that the transmission came from? Or as long as its a 4x2 4.0l manual transmission is it ok? I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff soooooooo yeah. :dntknw:

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'm not sure but I think at some point the speed sensor setup was changed. That could be an issue. Also I believe the neutral switch was deleted on later ones. I don't think that's very significant though.

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ok well i'll try to find the transmission that goes with the same year engine I'm going to get. Ok so i'm not getting a 94 ranger engine i'm going to get a 93. What are the differences between the wiring harnesses with the 93 and 91? Can i use the existing harness or is it inevitable that i will have to get a 93 harness?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If I remember right, (I usually don't.) then you'll probably see no difference in using the 91 harness on the 93 engine. It might have one extra sensor. (The Cam Position Sensor) or be setup for 2 O2 sensors vs 1.

Just use the 91 harness (including the engine harness) and have a y-pipe that has only 1 sensor hole (after the actual Y). You can't just use the newer y-pipe and plug one hole or the sensor will not see the other side of the engine.

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
Ok it has been a very long time. Here is what has happened. I found a 93 ranger that had a 3.0l v6. I bought the whole truck for 1,200. I took everything apart on the 93, took the ecu out, the engine and transmission, the engine mounts, the wiring harness, just everything. However the placement of the ecu on the 93 is very different from the 91. In the 91, the ecu is inside the cab on the passenger side while on the 93 the ecu is in the engine compartment right next to the main round plug on the wiring harness. There is no hole for me to fit the ecu where it needs to be so I am running out of options. Should i make custom brackets and mount the ecu to the side, or should make a box for it? I don't even know what to do so any help would be very appreciated.

Attachments

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
The 93 wiring harness. The position of the ecu plug is different from the 91

Attachments

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
And i have both ECU for the 93 and 91

Attachments

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
The original mount of the ECU for the 91

Attachments

IBeastYou58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l OHV
Transmission
Manual
To the right of the round plug would normally be where the ECU would go in the 93. It has to go there somehow. I'm just completely lost as what to do now.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals