• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slight Brake Pedal Pulsing and Clicking Sound

53effie

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All,

A few weeks ago, I had a brake job done on my 1999 Ranger XLT (2wd, 3.0L, automatic) which included replacement of a leaking brake line, new pads and rotors, and a complete flush and replacement of the brake fluid.

After the above service the brakes seemed to be functioning properly.

Then, a few days ago the VSS failed so I had the truck in for repairs again and that problem seems to have been taken care of.

However, whenever I come to a stop now I detect a slight pulsing in the brake pedal and I hear a clicking sound which seems to be coming from behind the dash or the firewall. This seems to happen when I get close to a full stop and it continues to pulsate and make the clicking sound once I come to a full stop. If I remove my foot from the brake pedal and reapply the brakes, then both the pulsating and clicking stops.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the cause of this?

Does the computer need to be reset after changing the VSS perhaps?

I have seen suggestions elsewhere that the cause might be an ABS sensor and that removing the fuse for the ABS system may eliminate the symptoms, and disable the ABS of course. Is this correct? While I don't believe defeating a vehicles safety systems is a good idea, would there be any harm in disabling the ABS this way? Any long-term damage as a result? Is there any harm in leaving the system as is and just get used to the clicking and pulsating?

As an aside, I am going on a fairly long road trip next week and want to make sure that the truck is safe and reliable.

Thank you for your time.

Glen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals