• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 B2300 with camper I built

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, everybody,
I moved to Washington State from upstate NY 9 months ago. I built this camper shell to transport all my stuff, half of which I promptly gave away when I got here. Now I'm going to do some inside work to it. Which is why I'm here visiting TRS, because I want to install a couple forklift batteries in series to get 12V, to power my stuff. I want to charge the batteries off the truck when I'm driving, or off a 110 outlet at a campground, etc. And when I use my "stuff", and the truck isn't running, I want the truck battery isolated from the load. All my stuff runs on dc, different voltages, and each one has a charger. I could probably use an inverter to run a strip of outlets, and plug in all the chargers: Cell phone, laptop, boom box. Plus I want a couple or three lights, and a small dc fan for my fireplace intake air. I don't know if the inverter is the best route, or should i buy a device that can put out exactly so many dc volts, and use it to feed my devices, instead of using their own chargers.

So I need a book about how to do the dc system. Or knowing the key words to use, I can go look in the library for a book. Wiring DC Campers?

So I built the shell in NY, 3/8" cdx plywood, 1x2 white pine studs, high grade polyurethane construction adhesive, and exterior grade star screw. I predrilled everything through the plywood. I used flat 2x4's for triangulation braces so the leading edge and the top edge of the thing, the part that hits the 80mph wind, is solid as a rock. The leading edge and the top edge of the roof both have double 2x4 headers going across, glued and screwed.

On top of the plywood I put two coats of epoxy resin, and I used fiberglass cloth on all joints and corners and edges. That made it waterproof. Then I put two coats of Above Water Line marine paint on top of the resin, and did it in a sort of artsy fartsy way. Some of it looks stupid, like the hatch marks that are supposed to be a weave? And the first aid cross. Goofy. But the rest of it is okay.

So on the inside there are three layers. I have three 2' x 5' panels that join up with the floor of the overcab to make one long flat floor from front to back. It's about 8'6" x 5' 0". I had my queen mattress up there, but gave it to someone. Now i use a foam pad.

I'm going to build some cabinets along the two sides and the front of the bed, that will double as short tables and a couch seat. The back corner will have a space for my twig-burning cook stove, and I'll have an exhaust hood installed right over it, attached to the framing of the shell. I'm looking for a tiny woodstove for it, but will set it up for both the open fire cook stove, and if I find a woodstove, it's pipe will fit right up in there.

Anyway, I've been drawing and measuring and drawing and thinking, and I'll probably buy the materials to do it tomorrow. I'll be hitting the road about March 13th, maybe sooner, for some exploration, truck camping, backpacking, and plain old camping out! I'll get some pix tomorrow, the before shot - the big empty, showing the three panels that can fit in several places. Like for a table possibly. And I'll figure out how to get a picture on here of my drawings of the layout, cross-section, construction details, etc of the cabinet/seats.

The back end is 3" higher than the front now, because I had the rear leafs retempered, and I added a heavy duty leaf to each side (duh, each side). And i added new shocks in back. The front has not been retempered, and has the worn out shocks, and it sits 3" lower. I wonder how to fix that.

ok, I know I'll find out here. TRS rocks. Like the Red Sox. (Born in Boston.)

The shell weighs 750, and with the cabinet/seats, I think that will be 850.

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
throw some over load springs on that. and it look great

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
looks good,i like how you slanted the front for aero dynamics,good job.kinda motivates me to try building one for my truck.i probably cant make mine as tall

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Its kinda rough looking, but ingenious at the same time. Good job!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks good.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_thumby:not bad for what you have invested..

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
looks good,i like how you slanted the front for aero dynamics,good job.kinda motivates me to try building one for my truck.i probably cant make mine as tall
The truck is actually more stable on the road with the camper. Even the 18 wheelers don't push it over when I pass them. I get 18mpg at 70mph with the shell.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heh, heh. I remember you getting broke down in some forest last year.

Good to hear you are making out OK.

You got a lot of spirit! Still Bloggin? How about a link?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
not bad, surprized the 4 cyl can handle it. id make the back all solid, ditch the tailgate & put a traditional walk-in door.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love woodstoves in vehicles. They exist, new, but are dam expensive.

The only thing I don't like is the locks on the rear door. Some jackass might lock you in!

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
750 lbs? That sounds kind of heavy. I'm surprised that you get the mileage that you get though. Nice work.

Magnetic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this is nice giving me ideas on how to build mine not a handyman but goign to give it a shot have you done anything to it since the last time you were here?

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
What is that strange stick in the first picture, it looks like it has glass and bubbles in it? Are your eyes not calibrated?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals