• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Larger rear wheel cylinder discussion

squealingtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
The brake upgrade article in the tech section was a big help in directing me towards some improved braking options on my '93 4x4 Ranger.

article: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/wheels_and_brakes/ford-ranger-brake-upgrades/

So far my upgrades include
  • 1995+ TTB calipers/knuckles
  • Hawk LTS pads (green box)
  • Centric StopTech slotted rotors
  • Ford OEM Aerostar finned 10" drums
  • Ford OEM rear shoes (p/n: F77Z-2200-DA)

I'm looking for any more low-hanging fruit and I'm wondering if it were possible and advisable to increase the size of the rear wheel cylinder for the 10" drum brakes. Standard equipment units have a 15/16" bore and it looks like the F-150's had a 1" inch wheel cylinder with what looks to accept the same fittings and installation size though the brake lines would be plumbed a little different. I'd need to check on the bore centers to ensure the actuation rods aren't cocked as this would be a deal breaker requiring work on the backing plates to get the shoe supports properly aligned.

My back of the napkin calculation tells me I can get an extra 200lbs of force on the pad at 2000psi (guessing this value). Has anyone done this upgrade? How did it perform? I think the rear will have a slight actuation delay do to the larger bore but would come in harder under severe braking. I don't pull much in my truck but I do run 33x12.50 mudders which I want to overcome the loss of brake performance from the big heavy tires. Like I said, just looking for anything left that offers a slight improvement without making the truck unpredictable (easily locking up the rear under empty bed conditions)

Love to hear your thoughts on pumping some life back into this old truck.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Drum brake pressures are probably more in line with 600psi; but better way to look at it is, you have increased force by 10%. Same, more/less as going from 9" to 10" drums.

If you have RABS, no issues (I'm more familiar with '98+ and they either have RABS or ABS). Switching to larger drums makes RABS kick-in, so I would be leery about doing it without.

squealingtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Drum brake pressures are probably more in line with 600psi; but better way to look at it is, you have increased force by 10%. Same, more/less as going from 9" to 10" drums.

If you have RABS, no issues (I'm more familiar with '98+ and they either have RABS or ABS). Switching to larger drums makes RABS kick-in, so I would be leery about doing it without.
I think I'm following you. My truck has the RABS and was an original 10" drum setup. Honestly since I've owned it, the RABS has probably only activated maybe a dozen times and that was when things were wet/snowy. It activates so infrequently, even under hard braking, that it drives me to believe there is still a lot which can be done. I figure if I can get closer to the point where RABS is more active then I'll have gotten all I can out of the rear brakes. That's my logic anyways. Did you have any thoughts on the pros/cons of a larger wheel cylinder? If the rears see 600psi then the larger F-150 cylinder. That extra 1/16" in the cylinder is worth about 60lbs at 600psi. Doesn't seem iike a big jump but the way drum shoes "self energize" it think it might be more than expected.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals