• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Light tab question?

my03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know how the underdog performance light tabs are? and how they work? they are found at stuffforyourranger.com I really want to get some offroad lights mounted on the front of my 03 and I cant find any reviews. thanks!

Crane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have the straight light bar from them, and I'm very happy with it. It came with the two tabs, and a piece of angle iron bolted across them. I don't go off roading or anything, I just wanted more light, so I don't know how it would hold up to that, but it feels very sturdy. It just bolts up to two bumper bolts, easy installation. I can get pics of anything if you want, just let me know.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Their tabs are great if you want to run Daylighter style lights. If anything else, like a slim style light, I find them to look a little ugly sticking out so far away from the grille ...so...I made my own light tabs to my specs. Light tabs mount onto existing holes and bolts already on your truck....stick your finger in between the grille and bumper, and you'll feel the bolts below the grille on the bumper. The tab bolts to the bumper, the light bolts to the tab. I made mine with a crossmember and put on 4 KC Slimlites. If you don't have the means to make your own, the ones Wayne sells are pretty nice and he's a great guy to do business with. I will always suggest buying from him.

The tabs Underdog/Wayne sells are very very similar to mine, the only real difference is the measurements.

my03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome guys! Nice looking trucks too! Is yur truck 4wd fx4wannabe? anyways thanks for the help! Yeah I dont have the means to make my own, and I cant decide if I want the two or four! Is it something I can install myself? I dont want to set off the airbags or something stupid with my luck. So I take it the bolts run horizontally behind the bumper or am I incorrect?

my03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I ran outside and tried to feel for the bolts and found them! cool, I guess just need to know how easy installing them is and how hard is it to install lights. well I mean the wiring?

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck is 4wd. No probs for the help man...thats what these sites are all about!

If you've got a ratchet and a 13mm and acouple extentions, it can be done in a parking lot. lol. It's been so long since my truck's been non-lifted and non-bodylifted, that I honestly don't remember how i did it. I think I removed the grille, yet I know I've done it without removing the grille and just wrenched it from behind the bumper. No worries about the airbag...the sensor is actually in the cab on your truck...located infront of the transmission shifter or in front of where it would be if you're an auto.

Generally lights come with the wiring harness and a diagram of how to hook it all up. I vote KC's.

Last edited:

Crane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I removed the grill too, you pretty much have to to get access to it. Wiring the lights isn't too hard, it took me a while, but I wasn't rushing it or anything. I ran the ground to the lights to the horizontal bar infront of the radiator. I mounted the relay just to the side and below the fuse box on the drivers side in the engine bay. I ran the wires to the switch through the seal with the other wires in it just to the side of the steering column.

My lights are Hella 500s, they are ok, mainly I just got them because they were cheap. They have a good beam pattern, but not the strongest mounting points, as mine have gone out of aim before.

my03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I C! I ordered the two tabs last nite and saw some other coool things like the 06 taillights and the third brake lite. anyways to take the grill off i would just have to undo the screws on top rite? How did you mount the relay? I like the Hellas' but I always wanted KCs. I will decide between black or chrome once I get the tabs in and my 2"spacers put on. Again thanks for your help guys and Ill keep ya posted.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To remove the grille on your 01-03, take off all the top screws, I like to remove my headlamps and corner lamps. With the top screws taken out, you'll notice the top is loose. The bottom of the grille is held in with clips....a gently forcefull tug of the grille will uppop those clips. You'll see the clips below the headlights once you remove the headlights.

Be careful, yet be force full to pop the clips.

my03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yo dudes I got my light tabs in the mail today and already put them on! Piece of Cake! I have tomorrow off so I think IM going to look at lights either 2nite before school or tomorrow, so hopefully I can almost have them on later! And your right fx4wanna they do stick out far, but no big deal!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals