• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheapest & Brightest

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to be driving my ranger at pismo in the dark alot of the time.
What's the cheapest way to alotta LIGHT?
Thank you

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
buy the cheap lights at wal-mart, then replace the usual 55 watt bulbs with 100 watt bulbs. they will get a little hotter, but you should be ok.

another option (i've done this in the past), get the round, rubber truck/tractor flood lights (sealed beam), about $10 a piece or less. then go to NAPA and get the 100 watt aircraft landing lights (sealed beam) that fit them exactly, about another $10 a piece. the landing lights have no flutes in the lens, they are spot lights and very bright! and the rubber mounting makes it harder for them to break. also, don't forget to use larger wiring on them. :icon_thumby:

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. Thats what i was looking for. I hate not being able to see right or left out there. I want to mount one under each door pointing out. Seen a truck out at pismo like that, looked pretty cool and functional.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i'd be interested in seeing a lightbar that had lights angled towards the outside... at maybe 60 degrees from standard position... not sure i've ever seen one.. seems like a nice concept.

i personally don't think that my truck would look good with a light bar on the top... especially since i don't offroad... but wouldn't mind some accessory driving lights mounted in my grill... i've always wanted some LED/neon under my truck too haha.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

On the roof I have four 100w lights I got from Harbor Freight, about $20/pair with wiring and a switch (no relay though). I had two on my grille guard for a long time, very bright lights.

Now on the grille guard I have two 55W Hella 500's I got at Wal-Mart, for some reason they had them knocked down to $30/pair with wiring and a relay so I grabbed the two pairs they had left and hung them on each of my trucks.

mud390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
85_Ranger -- How do you like those Hella 500's? Do they do a pretty good job for driving lights? How is their light pattern?

Kris

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
85_Ranger -- How do you like those Hella 500's? Do they do a pretty good job for driving lights? How is their light pattern?

Kris
They reach out there a good long ways, about triple the range of the factory highbeams on my F-150. They are pretty controlled, even out that far they don't shine much wider than the road ditches on a two lane road.

They make my Ranger's stock sealed beams look like cheap flashlights...

They are so bright, I don't use them much for fear of blinding other drivers.

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I was thinking exterior roll cage at first so i could use it as a light bar also but i'm going to have to do it inside and mount the lights on the front and under because the cabinet clearance in my toy hauler. I haven't done all the measuring yet though and my friend was worried the weight of an exterior cage might through off the way my truck jumps which is AWSOME.lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I try to refrain from jumping my truck, but I think cage would be a good thing to have if you do it often. I would think when you are flying dead stick with no wings, eventually you are going to get a landing that you won't like.

I ended up taking the lightbar off of my rollbar, if we get two inches of snow they catch on my garage door and either get pushed back or ahead. The orignal plan was to make a latch or something so they could tip back when not in use, but recent developments elsewhere have bumped that way down on the priority list.

00dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
It's got about 20 inches of travel and i own a dry creek with a jump. I can't help it.
Anyway after todays trip to HARD CORE 4x4 (Cheers to Donnie Burns the owner he took first this weekend at avanal sand drags) I won't be able to afford much. They took the rear diff cvr off to find out whoever built it did't use locktite. So half the bolts were rolling around in the bottom of the diff. It has a detroit locker in it so hopefully it's not damaged. So i'm going to have them do the rear end and anything else they find then I will go from there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals