• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Ticking

burlingtonmarine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger with the 4.0.Really bad ticking noise.I checked on different forums and know this is a common deal because of Fords pushrods not being hardened.I also know delta cam has a fix for it.What I need to know is can I just buy new pushrods from Ford or even aftermarket and install them to take care of this ticking.I have 200000 miles on the truck and don't want to tear the engine down that far for the delta cam fix.Easier solution would be just install new pushrods.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Burlington I did the Delta cam hardened pushrods and rocker arms and they did in fact get rid of the ticking..engine was completely silent.

Since then I had the engine replaced but this one ticks and taps from the lifters...almost every time on startup and after the truck warms up. I returned the first engine because of this and the second one they built did the same thing. It's been 50k miles and it still does it, I just don't have the time and patience to do an engine swap a third time.

Just make sure the noise Is indeed your pushrods/rocker arms and not your lifters is what I'm getting at.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the motor before spending money. The source of the ticking starts with weak oil pressure to the top end. The fix involves replacing worn parts in the oiling system and then pulling the lifters apart and cleaning them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals